Slow Cooker Taco Tater Tot Casserole is full of ground beef, taco seasoning, cheese, and tater tots. Makes a great family meal.
Spicy Southern Kitchen participates in affiliate advertising programs. We may earn a commission when you make a purchase through links on our site.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef– I use lean ground beef, but you can use a fattier ground beef. Just be sure to drain off the grease when you brown it.
- Onion– either white, yellow, or sweet onion.
- Garlic cloves– 1 teaspoon of garlic powder can be used instead.
- Taco Seasoning– use “spicy” if you want the casserole spicy.
- Frozen Corn– canned corn can be used instead or you can substitute black beans.
- Salsa– use spicy if you want a spicier casserole.
- Velveeta cheese– melts really well and adds some creaminess.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese– you can use a combo of cheddar and pepper jack if you prefer.
- Frozen Tater Tots– no need to thaw them, but you do want to season them with salt and pepper.
You will need a 6-quart or large slow cooker for this recipe. I use a 6-Quart Hamilton Beach Programmable Slow Cooker.
How Long To Cook
The casserole will take about 4 to 5 hours on LOW or you can cook it on HIGH for about 3 hours.
Add Some Toppings
There’s already lots of flavor in this slow cooker casserole, but I like to add even more by adding some toppings. Great topping ideas are sour cream, sliced black olives, diced avocado, guacamole, sliced green onion, extra salsa, and shredded iceberg lettuce.
Slow Cooker Taco Tater Tot Casserole Recipe Tip
Be sure to add plenty of seasoning (salt and pepper) to the tater tots or they will taste really bland.
I think Tater Tot Casseroles are best eaten the day they are made, but leftovers will keep in an airtight container for 3 days.
More Slow Cooker Casseroles
- Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Casserole
- Slow Cooker Southwestern Corn Casserole
- Crock Pot Baked Ziti
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Crock Pot Cabbage Roll Casserole
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves. minced
- 1 ounce packet taco seasoning
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2/3 cup salsa
- 8 ounces velveeta cheese, cubed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 32 ounces frozen tater tots
- salt and pepper
- salsa, pickled jalapenos, sour cream, hot sauce, for serving
- Brown the ground beef with the onion. Add the garlic when the beef is mostly cooked. Season with salt and pepper.If there is alot of grease, drain it off.
- Add ground beef mixture to a greased 6-quart or larger slow cooker.Add taco seasoning, corn, salsa, velveeta and half the cheddar cheese. Stir to mix.
- Season the tater tots with salt and pepper. Add to slow cooker and mix in.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 5 hours.Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Cover for 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Serve with sour cream, salsa, pickled jalapenos, and hot sauce