Slow Cooker Southwestern Corn Casserole has a wonderful spicy kick. Poblano peppers, pepper jack cheese, and cayenne pepper give this casserole lots of flavor and heat.
Between the corn and a few tablespoons of sugar, this side dish corn casserole also has plenty of sweetness to balance the heat. There’s lots of corn in this casserole in realtion to the filler. It’s absolutely loaded with corn.
Slow Cooker Southwestern Corn Casserole Recipe Tips:
- This recipe uses a combination of frozen corn and canned creamed corn. Instead of frozen corn, you could use canned corn (drain it well) or fresh corn (no need to cook it first).
- For a little extra southwestern flavor, you could add 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin or 1/2 teaspoon chili powder.
- If you don’t have poblano peppers, you could use a can of diced green chiles.
- Slow Cookers vary in how hot they get and how fast they cook the food. You will need to take a peak at the casserole just shy of the 2 hour point. If it is set in the middle, go ahead and turn the slow cooker off. It it still is really uncooked in the middle, place the lid back on and check it in 30 minutes. If it is just a little undercooked, you can let it cook for a while longer with the lid off so you can watch it.
- Be sure to place a double layer of paper towels under the slow cooker lid. Otherwise all of the condensation that forms on the lid will drip back down onto the casserole and it won’t set up well.
Try These Other Slow Cooker Side Dishes:
- Crock Pot Buttery Bacon Green Beans
- Slow Cooker Garlic Parmesan Potatoes
- Crock Pot Jalapeno Creamed Corn
- 2 large poblano peppers
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup Pepper Jack Cheese
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 (15.25-ounce) can creamed corn
- 1 (2-ounce) jar diced pimentos, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place peppers on a foil-lined baking sheet. Broil until skin is blackened on all sides. Place in a zip-top bag for 10 minutes.Peel the skin from the peppers. Discard the stem and seeds. Chop the peppers.
- Lightly grease a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker and stir until mixed well.
- Place a double layer of paper towels on top of the slow cooker and place the lid on. You want the paper towels to be secure just beneath the lid.
- Cook on LOW for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.