Kung Pao Sloppy Joes are wonderfully flavored with ginger, sriracha sauce, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and sesame oil. There’s lots of asian flavors in these tasty sandwiches.
With lots of bold flavor, they are definitely a grown-up version of sloppy joes. You have all the unami flavors. They’re salty, sweet, sour, and spicy.
For a little crunch and freshness, they are topped with broccoli slaw with cilantro and chopped peanuts. Such a fun take on Sloppy Joes!
How To Make Kung Pao Sloppy Joes
- Brown the ground beef, onions, and bell pepper.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute.
- Add remaining filling ingredients and simmer until thickened.
- Stir together the broccoli slaw and Asian dressing.
- Top the bottom buns with filling and then slaw and sprinkle on cilantro and chopped peanuts.
Sloppy Joes are a great way to turn a pound of ground beef into a family meal.
Ground turkey can be used instead of ground beef.
To make them spicier, double the amount of red pepper flakes.
Recipe makes enough for 4 large servings and can easily be doubled.
Goes great with Asian Pasta Salad.
Make Ahead and Storage
Both the filling and the slaw can be made ahead of time. Reheat the filling in the microwave before serving. Don’t make the slaw too far in advance or it will loose its crunch.
More Sloppy Joe Recipes
- Brown Sugar Bacon Sloppy Joes
- Crock Pot Sloppy Joes
- Root Beer Sloppy Joes
- Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole
- Sloppy Joe Potato Skins
- Sloppy Joe Grilled Cheese
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 green onions, white and green parts sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 to 2 teaspoons sriracha sauce
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 to 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli slaw
- 1 tablespoon asian dressing or sesame ginger sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped dry roasted peanuts
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 buns, toasted
- Brown ground beef in a large nonstick skillet, crumbling it as it cooks. When it is about halfway cooked, add bell pepper and onion. Continue to cook until no pink is left in the beef.Drain off any grease.
- Add garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute.
- In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, water, brown sugar, sesame oil, and red pepper flakes.Whisk in cornstarch.
- Add sauce to the ground beef mixture and simmer until thickened.
- Stir together broccoli slaw and dressing or sauce.
- Divide ground beef mixture between the buns, top with slaw, peanuts, and cilantro. Serve.