Creamy Spicy Cucumbers- this summer side dish is full of crisp cucumber slices in a spicy, creamy dressing. Makes a great side for a cookout.
The dressing is both spicy and a little tangy. This recipe is very similar to Sour Cream Cucumbers, but the creamy dressing is a blend of mayonnaise and buttermilk. The buttermilk plus some apple cider vinegar gives the dressing a little tang. There’s just enough sugar in the dressing to balance the tanginess without being overpowering.
The spiciness comes from a combination of hot sauce and crushed red pepper flakes. For hot sauce, I like to use TABSACO or Crystal hot sauce. For extra flavor, there’s a little garlic powder, fresh parsley, and green onions.
CREAMY SPICY CUCUMBERS RECIPE TIPS:
You can peel the cucumbers or leave them unpeeled.
Best made at least 2 hours ahead of time so the flavors have time to mingle.
Will keep for about 3 days but the cucumbers lose their crunch and the dressing gets watery over time.
You can use either standard cucumbers or English cucumbers.
Best served cold, straight from the refrigerator.
- Use red onion instead of green onion.
- Fresh dill can be used instead of parsley
- Instead of garlic powder, use a fresh, minced clove of garlic.
Try These Other Great Summer Sides:
- Creamy Italian Cucumber Salad
- Ginger Sesame Cucumbers
- Summer Succotash
- Grilled Corn and Butter Bean Salad
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 medium cucumbers, sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 green onions, sliced
- In a medium bowl, stir together mayonnaise, buttermilk, vinegar, sugar, hot sauce, red pepper flakes, salt, black pepper, and garlic powder.
- Add in cucumbers, parlsey, and green onion. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 8 hours before serving.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.