This quick Pickled Cucumbers and Onions recipe produces wonderfully crispy, crunchy pickles with plenty of tang.
Garden fresh cucumbers are everywhere right now. Buttermilk Cucumbers are probably my favorite way to eat cucumbers, but pickled cucumbers are great for when you have more cucumbers than you know what to do with.
To make Pickled Cucumbers and Onion, just make a quick brine of water, sugar, and vinegar and add the cucumbers and onions. I also like to add a little lemon juice and a few celery seeds.
You can add other things too. Summer squash, bell pepper, and even cherry tomatoes work nicely.
Tips For Making Pickled Cucumbers and Onions
- Mason jars are great for pickling cucumbers.
- If you want your pickled cucumbers a little spicy, add a sliced jalapeno or 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes.
- White vinegar or apple cider vinegar can be used instead of rice wine vinegar.
- You can use any type of cucumber you like. Cucumbers straight from the garden are best, either the large ones or the small pickling cucumbers. Use English cucumbers if you prefer fewer seeds.
- These pickled cucumbers will keep at least 3 weeks refrigerated.
How To Serve
Serve these Cucumbers and Onions with burgers or hot dogs. They also taste great with pulled pork.
If you love the tang of vinegar, these cucumbers are just the snack for you.
More Summer Recipes
- Creamy Tomato and Cucumber Salad
- Tomato Cracker Salad
- Marinated Tomatoes
- Fried Okra
- Chipotle Corn Salad
- Sweet Vinegar Coleslaw
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup rice vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds, optional
- 4 small cucumbers
- 1/2 large Vidalia onion
- 1/2 large red onion
- In a small saucepan, combine both vinegars, sugar, salt and lemon juice. Place over medium heat and stir until sugar is dissolved. Let cool 10 minutes.
- Place celery seeds, cucumbers, Vidalia onion, and red onion in a large bowl.
- Pour vinegar mixture over cucumbers. Cover and refrigerate at least 12 hours.