Ginger Sesame Cucumbers are a refreshingly healthy side dish with lots of Asian flavors. With tons of fresh ginger, these cucumbers definitely have some zip.
This easy vegetarian side dish consists of crispy cucumber slices and sweet onion slices coated in a sweet, tangy, and spicy dressing with tons of fresh ginger flavor.
WHAT MAKES THIS SIDE DISH SO GOOD?
Lots of fresh ginger. Fresh ginger is peeled and cut into little matchsticks and they really give a punch of fresh ginger flavor.
Lots of contrast in flavors. The dressing is sweet , tangy, and salty and a little spicy. It will wake up all of your taste buds.
It’s a very cooling salad, making it perfect for summer weather.
WHAT TYPE OF CUCUMBER TO USE?
I prefer to use English cucumbers. They are typically long and skinny and covered in plastic wrap. The skin doesn’t have a wax coating like American cucumbers so I leave the skin on. I like that they have fewer seeds. If using American cucmbers, I recommend peeling them and scraping out most of the seeds.
Ginger Sesame Cucumbers Recipe Tips:
You want to mix it at least an hour in advance to give the flavors time to soak into the cucumbers.
This recipe can easily be doubled. As is, it makes enough for about 4 people.
Will keep for a couple of days in the refrigerator but the cucumbers lose their crunch over time.
These Ginger Sesame Cucumbers go great with grilled chicken or an Asian-style noodle salad. It is amazing with sushi as well.
Try These Other Amazing Cucumber Recipes:
- Pickled Cucumbers and Onions
- Southern Creamy Cucumbers
- Creamy Tomato and Cucumber Salad
- Marinated Cucumber, Tomato, and Onion Salad
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 English cucumber
- 1/2 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar or rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Slice the ginger into thin slices. Stack them up and cut into thin matchsticks.Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise and then slice into thin half-moon shapes.
- Place ginger, cucumber and onion in a medium bowl.
- Add vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, olive oil, sesame oil, salt, and crushed red pepper flakes.Toss to mix.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Serve cold.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe adapted from Cook’s Country
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.