I made these delicious Southern Creamy Cucumbers using SPLENDA® Sweeteners as a part of a sponsored post for Socialstars #SplendaSweeties #SweetSwaps
You may not think of cucumbers as snacking food, but I grew up snacking on them. During the spring and summer months, my grandmother always had a bowl full of sliced cucumbers floating in ice water with lots of fresh dill sitting on the kitchen table. My grandmother didn’t believe in eating between meals so having this bowl of cucumbers out to snack on was a big deal.
My second favorite way to snack on cucumbers is this Southern Creamy Cucumber recipe. It is an easy and delicious way to use up all those summer cucumbers.
This recipe is lightened up with reduced fat sour cream and SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated, so you won’t have to feel guilty if you keep going back for one more slice of cucumber!
Using SPLENDA® Sweetener Products as a swap for sugar is a great way to cut calories. They have the sweetness of sugar, without all the calories and can be used in baking, cooking, and to sweeten your beverages. Try SPLENDA® Sweetener Products in your sweet tea. You’ll never miss the calories.
The Sweet Swap Program is dishing out hundreds of ways to save calories by swapping full sugar for SPLENDA® Sweeteners. Pretty much wherever you can use sugar, you can use SPLENDA® Sweetener, like this Hot Potato Salad.
In addition to sour cream and SPLENDA® Sweetener, these creamy cucumbers also have a little apple cider vinegar which gives that wonderful sweet and tart flavor.
Thin slices of sweet Vidalia onion and lots of fresh dill really make this creamy snack taste like summer!
Southern Creamy Cucumbers can be made in only about 5 minutes. I like to chill them for about 30 minutes before serving, but you don’t want to make them too far in advance or they will get runny as liquid starts to escape from the cucumbers into the sauce.
To make it even healthier, you could use Greek yogurt instead of sour cream.
The crunchiness of cucumbers and Vidalia onions in a smooth and creamy sauce is irresistible. Try Southern Creamy Cucumbers as a refreshing snack or pair it with fried chicken or burgers for the perfect summer meal.
Southern Creamy Cucumbers
- 2-3 medium cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 medium sweet onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 1 cup reduced fat sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 3-4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener Granulated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Place cucumbers and sweet onion in a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl, stir together sour cream, apple cider vinegar, SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated, salt, pepper, and celery seed.
- Pour over cucumbers and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle dill on top. Serve immediately or chill for 30-60 minutes.
Red wine vinegar or rice vinegar can be substituted.