Twice Baked Potatoes are deliciously creamy and full of bacon and cheddar cheese. Always a family favorite!
They are basically loaded mashed potatoes stuffed in crispy baked potato shells. They are so filling they are almost a meal on their own. These stuffed potatoes take a little time and energy to prepare but they can be totally prepped a day in advance and leftovers reheat well. Once they are fully prepped, they can also be frozen for later use.
These stuffed potatoes are so rich. A combination of butter, cream cheese, and sour cream adds maximum flavor and richness. In addition to lots of bacon , cheddar cheese, and green onion, there’s also some sauted onion for extra flavor. You can leave it out if you’re not big on onion or use mushrooms instead.
How To Make Twice Baked Potatoes
The first step is to bake the potatoes. You’ll rinse and dry them and then rub them with oil to help the skins crisp up. Bake them for 1 hour or until they can be easily pierced with a knife or fork.
While the potatoes are baking, cook the bacon and then saute the onion in the bacon grease.
Let them cool slightly until they are cool enough to handle and then cut each one in half lengthwise and scoop out the pulp.
Combine the pulp in a large bowl with the butter, cream cheese, sour cream , and salt and pepper. Mash with a potato masher until smooth.
Add the onion, half the bacon and half the cheese. Stuff the mixture into the potato shells and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
Sprinkle the remaining bacon and cheese and the green onion on top and pop back in the oven for a few minutes.
It’s best to mash the potatoes while they are still warm. If you wait until they are cold, they are likely to get gummy.
I love to make a big batch and freeze half for later. You can either thaw them overnight in the refrigerator or add about 15-20 minutes onto the baking time.
My favorite things to serve Twice Baked Potatoes with are pork tenderloin and steak.
Try These Other Potato Recipes
- Italian Roasted Potatoes
- Spicy Melting Potatoes
- Double-Stuffed Taco Potatoes
- Scalloped Potato Casserole
- 4 large baking potatoes, washed and dried
- olive oil
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 medium yellow or sweet onion, diced
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Rub the potatoes with oil and place on a baking sheet lined with foil. Bake for 60 minutes or until fork tender. Let cool 10 minutes.
- Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet until crispy. Remove bacon and crumble it. Set aside.
- Leave 2 tablespoons of bacon grease in the skillet. Add onion and cook over medium-high heat for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Cut potatoes in half horizontally once cool enough to handle. Scoop out pulp, leaving 1/4-inch thickness.
- Combine potato pulp, butter, cream cheese, sour cream, and salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Mash with a potato masher until smooth. Stir in the onion, half the bacon, and 1 cup of cheese.
- Stuff the mixture back into the potato shells.Place on baking sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Top with remaining cheese, bacon, and the green onions. Return to oven until cheese is melted. Serve.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.