This Grilled Corn and Butter Bean Salad is an amazing mixture of fresh summer vegetables. The ingredients are very similar to a traditional Succotash, but with a mayonnaise base, the taste is very different.
Cool and Creamy Summer Side
It’s kind of the veggie salad equivalent of a potato salad. And it’s fabulously delicious. Best of all, it keeps well for 2-3 days in the refrigerator. Grilled Corn and Butter Bean Salad is cool and creamy and makes a great side for a picnic.
I changed the original recipe from Southern Living some to give it a southwestern touch with cilantro instead of basil and a little jalapeno. I also used frozen lima beans instead of butter beans, but they are very similar.
Grilled Corn and Butter Bean Salad Recipe Tips
- Either white corn or yellow corn can be used. The fresher, the better.
- It’s best to make this salad at least 2 hours ahead of time so that the flavors have time to blend.
- Will keep in the refrigerator for about 3 days. Tastes best straight out of the refrigerator when it is very cold.
More Corn Recipes
- Hot Corn Dip with Jalapenos
- Three Cheese Corn Pudding
- Jalapeno Popper Grilled Corn Salad
- Corn Okra Creole
- Jalapeno Popper Corn Frito Salad
- 1 (10-oz) package frozen butter beans Note: you can also use fresh beans. (I used lima beans)
- 4 ears fresh corn, husks removed
- 1 medium red onion, cut into ½-inch slices
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 4 big pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Cook butter beans according to package directions and drain and cool completely. This will take about 20 minutes.
- While beans are cooking, heat grill to medium-high. Brush corn, red pepper, and onions with olive oil. Place on grill and close lid.
- Turn corn every 4 to 5 minutes until all sides are charred. Flip red peppers and onion after 5 minutes and remove from grill once second side has grilled for 4 to 5 minutes. Let cool and then cut corn from cobs and chop pepper and onion into ½-inch pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, garlic, salt, and pepper. Stir to mix and add butter beans, corn, red pepper, onion, tomatoes, and jalapeno. Toss to combine. Sprinkle cilantro on top and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Serve chilled.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Adapted from Southern Living
More Summer Veggie Recipes
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Originally published August 14, 2013.