Corn Maque Choux is full of fresh summer corn, bell pepper, onion, tomatoes ,and spices. It’s wonderfully sweet and spicy with so much flavor.
This corn recipe is a traditional Lousiana Cajun side dish pronounced “mock shoe”. It’s a mix of Native American and Cajun French influences.
You are going to love the bold flavors in this Maque Choux.
Corn Maque Choux is a heavily flavored dish. There’s a bay leaf, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, black pepper, plus a chicken bouillon cube. I love the flavor that the bouillon cube adds.
Tips For Making The Perfect Corn Maque Choux:
- Fresh corn is always best, but frozen corn is perfectly acceptable. Thaw it first.
- You can use either green or red bell pepper or a combination.
- I love the flavor bacon grease gives this recipe, but you can use butter if you don’t have any bacon grease.
- One minced garlic clove can be substituted for the garlic powder.
- A well-seasoned cast iron skillet is perfect for making this recipe.
- You want the heat to be fairly high because you want the corn and other vegetables to caramelize some. Be sure to stir frequently so no burning occurs.
- Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days.
Try These Other Amazing Summer Corn Recipes:
- Hot Corn Dip with Jalapenos
- Jalapeno Popper Grilled Corn Salad
- Corn Okra Creole
- Corn Fritters
- Grilled Garlic Parmesan Corn
Corn Maque Choux
- 3 tablespoons bacon fat or butter
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 1 red or green bell pepper, diced
- 6 to 7 cups fresh corn kernels, or frozen
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained or 1 cup fresh diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepepr
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Heat bacon grease or butter over medium-high heat in a large skillet, cast iron is best.
- Add onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes.
- Add corn, diced tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Check for seasoning and add salt if needed. Discard bay leaf.