Summer is about corn for me. Ok, maybe okra and tomatoes too. And maybe squash and field peas, peaches, blueberries, and blackberries. There are so many wonderful foods in season during the summer it’s hard to pick a favorite.
But corn is definitely right up there. I could eat it every day all summer long. The sweetness and crispy crunch of corn are irrisistible and there are so many wonderful ways to enjoy it.
Fritters are super easy to make and only take a few ingredients which you most likely already have on hand: flour, milk, egg, baking powder, and green onion.
The egg used for this recipe is separated and the egg white is whipped until stiff and then folded into the batter. The whipped egg white along with some baking powder help make the fritters light.
Just a short time in some hot oil and they develop a crispy coating.
I do not precook my corn kernels and these fritters don’t cook long so the kernels end up still having a little crunch to them. If you want the corn totally cooked, you will need to precook it or you can use leftover corn.
Sign up HERE for the Spicy Southern Kitchen Newsletter.
Fresh Corn Fritters are fried until golden just like hush puppies. Perfect way to enjoy summer corn as a bite-sized appetizer.
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 egg white, beaten until stiff peaks form
- Vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, stir together corn, green onions, egg yolk, and milk.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and red pepper flakes in a small bowl. Stir into corn mixture.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold egg whites into corn mixture until evenly mixed in.
- Heat about 1-2 inches of Vegetable oil to 375 degrees in a cast iron pan or Dutch oven (or you can use a heavy-bottomed skillet).
- Drop batter by spoonfuls into hot oil and fry until golden brown, about 4 minutes, flipping over halfway through cooking time. Place on a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Serve immediately.
Yield: 6 servings