Classic Rum Balls made with crushed vanilla wafers, toasted pecans, rum, and bourbon. Once formed they are rolled in sugar for an extra layer of sweetness. One of my favorite Christmas holiday candies.
Classic Rum Balls are perfect for holiday gift-giving. Just be sure to inform whoever you gift them to that they contain alcohol and should be an adult-only treat.
There’s so much to love about Classic Rum Balls. They are easy to make, no baking required, they can be made in advance and they are truly delicious. Guaranteed to satisfy a sweet tooth.
There are many different ways to make rum balls, but this one using crushed vanilla wafers as a base is really popular. It also contains a combination of both rum and bourbon for maximum flavor. Many rum balls contain cocoa, but this one does not.
Rum Balls can be made in advance . They will keep refrigerated in an airtight container for 7-10 days. The flavor actually gets better with time.
I recommend making them at least a day or two in advance. It gives the flavors a chance to blend and mellow.
Don’t skip toasting the pecans. It really intensifies their flavor and gives them a buttery taste. You can either toast them in a 350 degree oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or in a nonstick pan over medium-low heat just until they start to get fragrant.
More Easy Candy Recipes:
- 1 (11-ounce) box Vanilla wafer cookies
- 1 1/4 cups toasted pecans
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Place cookies and pecans in a food processor. Process until finely ground.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in powdered sugar, rum, bourbon, corn syrup and salt until mixed well.
- Use a tablespoon measuring spoon to scoop the dough and shape into balls.
- Place granulated sugar in a bowl. Coat the rum balls in the sugar.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
Want to Save This Recipe?