Mini Taco Bites are a fun and festive party food that will be gobbled up at your next get together, whether it be a holiday party or a day of watching football with friends. Kids will love them just as much as adults.
And when I say mini, they really are mini. Just a one bite treat, or maybe two bites if you’re like me and take little bites.
They take a little time to assemble, but the presentation is so worth it. All the components can be cooked or chopped ahead. This would also be a great recipe to put some little helpers to work in the kitchen. They would have a fantastic time putting these together, and may even be able to put their own creative mark on them.
Use a 3-inch biscuit or cookie cutter to cut flour tortillas into small circles. Brush both sides with a butter/chili powder mixture and shape them into the cups of a mini-muffin pan. Bake until they are lightly browned. Once cool, they will perfectly hold their shape and you can place them in a ziptop bag if you’re not ready to assemble them right away.
Fill each shell with just a tad of refried bean/cheese mixture and a spoonful of taco-seasoned ground beef. Then the fun really begins! Shower them with all kinds of toppings. The more color the better. I’ve used lettuce, tomato, red onion, avocado, cilantro, and sour cream. But use whatever suits you. Black olives, more cheese, jalapenos, and salsa would all be great. Everyone will have fun eating these Mini Taco Bites.
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 package (10-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) tomato sauce
- salt and pepper
- ⅓ cup refried beans
- ¼ cup shredded Mexican cheese
- ½ cup finely shredded lettuce
- 1 plum tomato, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon finely diced red onion
- ½ avocado, finely diced
- cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix together melted butter, garlic salt, and ¼ teaspoon chili powder.
- Cut tortillas with a 3-inch biscuit cutter or cookie cutter. You should get 3-4 circles per tortilla. Stack tortillas, wrap in a moist paper towel, and microwave for 20 seconds to soften.
- Brush both sides of tortilla circles with butter mixture and press into cups of a mini muffin pan so that they take the shape of the muffin cup.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes. Cool in pan 5 minutes and then remove to wire rack to cool completely.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, cook ground beef, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. When most of the pink is gone add onion. Cook 2 more minutes.
- Add chili powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper. Stir for 30 seconds and then add tomato sauce. Simmer until thickens and then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place refried beans and cheese in a small microwave safe bowl. Heat 30 seconds and stir. If cheese is not fully melted, heat in 20 second increments until cheese melts.
- Place a small amount of bean mixture on bottom of each taco shell. Top with small spoonful of meat mixture.
- Sprinkle with lettuce, tomato, red onion, avocado, and cilantro. Add small dollop of sour cream.
Sharing this post with The Country Cook