Southwestern Salad with Jalapeno Lime Vinaigrette- a delicious salad full of avocado, bell peppers, corn, and black beans tossed with a spicy, citrusy dressing.
How To Serve Southwestern Salad
Serve this salad as a healthy, light side for tacos, quesadillas, enchiladas, and burritos. To make this salad a main dish, add grilled chicken, steak, salmon, or shrimp.
Homemade Jalapeno Lime Vinaigrette
This homemade dressing is so healthy and tasty. A jalapeno and garlic add a little bite. The lime juice provides some acidity and the honey adds a little sweetness. Maple syrup or agave can be used instead of honey.
The dressing will keep in the refrigerator for about a week and it is easy to make a double batch. It’s also great drizzled over grilled chicken or shrimp.
- Blender or Food Processor– you need to blend the jalapeno, garlic, and cilantro so the flavors are easily distributed throughout the dressing and it has a smooth texture.
Add More Flavors
Roasted sweet potatoes are a great addition to this salad as are crunchy tortilla strips.
If you want to add a little cheese flavor, try some crumbled cotija cheese. Feta cheese can be substituted.
To make this salad a main dish, add grilled chicken, salmon, or shrimp.
More Awesome Salad Recipes
- Chopped Cobb Salad– full of chicken, bacon, avocado, hard-boiled egg, and blue cheese crumbles, all tossed in an easy vinaigrette.
- Pickled Beet Salad with Walnuts and Feta– If you love pickled beets like I do, this salad is sure to be a favorite.
- Bacon and Ranch Cauliflower Salad– crunchy salad is loaded with cheddar cheese, crispy bacon and a creamy Parmesan Ranch dressing.
- Seven Layer Salad– a classic potluck favorite.
- Blue Cheese Chopped Salad with Blue Cheese and Candied Pecans– with a creamy blue cheese balsamic vinaigrette.
- Southern Cornbread Salad– feeds a crowd!
- Layered Taco Salad
- 1 medium jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 head romaine lettuce, washed, dried and chopped
- 1 orange or red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 red onion, cut into thin slices
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- Place jalapeno, garlic, lime juice, honey, cilantro and salt in a blender. Blend until jalapeno and cilantro are finely chopped.
- Gradually add oil to blender and blend until well combined. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Toss with vinaigrette and serve.