Slow Cooker Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake consists of a moist chocolate cake flavored with peanut butter and topped with peanut butter frosting and lots of chopped peanut butter cups. So delicious!
This easy to make Slow Cooker Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake makes a wonderful picnic or potluck dessert. Since it cooks in the crock pot there’s no need to heat up the kitchen.
Desserts have become one of my favorite things to make in the slow cooker and they are especially convenient for the hot months of the year. We’ve already had some scorching hot days in South Carolina. It doesn’t do any good to turn the oven on when the air conditioner is already fighting against 90 degree heat outside.
But this isn’t just a cake for the summer months. We enjoy it all year long.
Chocolate and peanut butter is always a winning combination. Especially when there are lots of peanut butter cups involved.
The cake batter is made from a box of chocolate cake mix with peanut butter mixed in. The cake only takes about 1 hour and 45 minutes on HIGH in the crock pot.
Once the cake is done, it is covered with a peanut butter glaze and mini peanut butter cups, the kind that are individually wrapped. I cut them in half and use a large quantity of them, about 26.
Feel free to use as many peanut butter cups as you want. I don’t think there is such a thing as too many peanut butter cups.
Different slow cookers cook at different rates. Some run hot and cook much faster. Use the cooking time as an estimate.
Never miss a recipe. Follow Spicy Southern Kitchen on Pinterest and Facebook.
Watch the short video below to see how to make Slow Cooker Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake.
Slow Cooker Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
Peanut Butter Glaze
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup fudge sauce
- 26 miniature peanut butter cups, unwrapped and cut in half
- Spray a 6-quart oval slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Using an electric mixer, beat cake mix, water, eggs, 1/2 cup peanut butter, and butter on low speed for 30 seconds and then on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour 45 minutes to 2 hours.
- (If your crock pot runs hot, check after 1 hour and 30 minutes.)
- Remove slow cooker insert and place on a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes.
- Make glaze. Whisk together peanut butter, milk, and powdered sugar in a medium bowl. Spread on top of cake.
- Sprinkle fudge sauce and peanut butter cups on top.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Originally published May 18, 2016.
Adapted from Betty Crocker.
More Slow Cooker Desserts
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
42 thoughts on “Slow Cooker Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake”
I made this recipe for our staff goodie day and I served it warm. It was raved about and everyone wanted the recipe. Very yummy!
Has anyone ever made this cake in the regular oven?
I made this for Thanksgiving. I only have a 4 quart crockpot, so I made it as directed with a couple of exceptions.
1. I made the batter as directed but only poured in about 80% of it.
2. I cooked on low for about 4 hours, as someone else suggested.
The cake came out very fluffy and a little crumbly, but absolutely soft. I didn’t have any burnt edges or gooeyness. I absolutely love this cake, as did my partner.
This is a very good but easy cake!
Looks so good! Do I need to until the whole chocolate has melted, or just following the recipe time?
I too did not see a response for doubling
The recipe. Has anyone tried this? If so what was the result? How long to cook it
What was the response for doubling the recipe.? How much longer did you cook it? Did it cook evenl