No cake mix needed for this Slow Cooker Lemon Cake. It is made from scratch and is bursting with fresh lemon flavor! It tastes so incredible eaten warm from the crock pot with a large dollop of whipped cream and a few fresh raspberries.
The addition of 1/2 cup of cornmeal to the batter gives this Slow Cooker Lemon Cake a wonderful texture and flavor.
Slow Cooker Lemon Cake also has poppy seeds (they almost seem mandatory with lemons) and a sweet and tangy lemon glaze that soaks into the warm cake giving it even more lemon flavor.
Cooking times can really vary with different crock pots so you’ll have to really watch it. You don’t want it to get burnt around the edges. If cooked just right, this cake is wonderfully moist and tender.
If you have too much condensation building up and falling back down on the middle of the cake, you can place a tea towel or a few paper towels under the lid to catch it.
Slow Cooker Lemon Cake
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs and beat another 2 minutes.
- With mixer on low, mix in sour cream, lemon zest, vanilla extract, and poppy seeds.
- Slowly add flour mixture and mix well.
- Pour batter into parchment lined slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 hours 15 minutes to 2 hours 30 minutes. Cake should be set in center.
- Remove cover and turn crock pot off.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice and confectioners' sugar.
- Remove crock pot insert from crock pot and place on a wire rack to cool. Drizzle lemon/sugar mixture on top.
Recipe adapted from The Southern Slow Cooker Bible.
More Slow Cooker Desserts
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.