This Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff has tender chunks of beef and a super creamy sauce with mushrooms. All the flavors of the classic recipe but it slow cooks in the crock pot all day.
The slow cooking process gets the chunks of beef extra tender so that they easily fall apart. This recipe is made from scratch, but it’s really easy. No condensed cream of something soup in it. To me, Beef Stroganoff is all about the sour cream and mushrooms and this recipe has plenty of both. There’s over 1 cup of sour cream in it to produce a wonderfully creamy and rich sauce.
This easy crockpot dinner is pure comfort food.
How to Make Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff:
- Brown the beef chunks in a pan. This step adds flavor to the stroganoff.
- Briefly cook the onion and the garlic in the beef drippings.
- Place the ingredients in the slow cooker and cover and cook on LOW for 7 hours.
- To thicken the sauce, mix the cornstarch with 1/4 cup of beef broth. Mix into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH for 20 to 30 minutes to thicken.
- Turn the slow cooker off and stir in the sour cream and egg noodles.
What type of beef to use?
I typically use top sirloin steak. Beef stew mix or chuck roast can be used instead.
What to serve with this recipe?
Of course Beef Stroganoff should be served over noodles and I like a wide egg noodle. For sides, I love peas or steamed or roasted broccoli or roasted vegetables.
Try These Other Easy Slow Cooker Dinners:
- Easy Crock Pot Chicken and Dumplings
- Crock Pot Sloppy Joes
- Slow Cooker Creamy Tuscan Chicken
- Slow Cooker Beef and Noodles with Mushrooms
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
- 2 to 2 1/2 pounds top sirloin steak, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 16 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/4 cups sour cream
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 8 ounces egg noodles, cooked
- Toss steak cubes with all-purpose flour, salt and pepper.Heat oil in a large skillet. Brown meat on all sides.
- Remove meat with slotted spoon and place in a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add onion and garlic to grease in skillet and cook 2 minutes., Transfer to slow cooker.
- Add mushrooms, 1 cup beef broth, tomato paste, and Worcestershire sauce to slow cooker.
- Mix the tomato paste into the broth some.Cover and cook on LOW for 7 hours.
- Mix together the cornstarch with 1/4 cup beef broth. Mix into slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH for 20 to 30 minutes to thicken.
- Turn slow cooker off and stir in sour cream and noodles.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.