Homemade Sausage Cinamon Rolls are the perfect combination of sweet and savory. A mixture of ground pork breakfast sausage and cinnamon is rolled up in a soft and tender homemade cinnamon roll dough. Once baked they are slathered with an ultra thick layer of cream cheese glaze to add a whole bunch of sweetness and a little bit of tang!
Breakfast sausage never tasted so good!
If these Sausage Cinnamon Rolls appeal to you, check out these Bacon Cinnamon Rolls.
Homemade Cinnamon Rolls are the best! I don’t make them often but sometimes in the winter it’s nice to spend a leisurely morning baking and enjoying a couple of cups of coffee.
If you wanted to you could use a spicy breakfast sausage to get that wonderful spicy and sweet flavor contrast.
Sausage Cinnamon Rolls will make a weekend breakfast extra special!!
Sausage Cinnamon Rolls
- 1/2 cup warm water (110 to 155 degrees)
- 1 package active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup buttermilk, room temperature ( you can microwave it briefly to save time)
- 1/2 cup milk. room temperature
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted, may need a little more or less
- 1 heaping cup cooked and crumbled breakfast sausage
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
Cream Cheese Glaze
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Stir together warm water, yeast, and 1 teaspoon sugar in a measuring cup. Let sit until foamy, about 5 minutes. If it doesn't get foamy and form bubbles, throw it out and start over. Either the yeast is too old or the water was too hot and killed it.
- Pour yeast mixture into a large bowl for a stand mixer.
- Add 1/3 cup sugar, buttermilk, milk, melted butter, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Using the dough hook attachment, mix until combined.
- Mix in salt and baking powder.
- Gradually mix in flour until dough pulls away from side of bowl.
- Shape the dough into ball and place in a large, greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled.
- Make filling. Stir together sausage, brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon.
- Punch the dough down and place on a lightly floured surface. Knead the dough a few times and then roll into a rectangle that is about 18 inches long.
- Spread filling evenly on dough. Starting on a long side, tightly roll dough up.
- Cut dough into 12 even slices. Place in a greased baking dish. I use a 9x13-inch pan. Cover and let rise until doubled.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 20 to 22 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes and then cover with cream cheese glaze.
- To make glaze, beat all ingredients with an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment until smooth.
More Cinnamon Rolls
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.