These Nutella Cinnamon Rolls have a Nutella and cinnamon filling and a cream cheese glaze. Wonderfully soft and tender and a nice change-up from regular cinnamon rolls.
These delicious cinnamon rolls have 3 components.
- Yeast Dough– The dough has 1 cup of mashed potato added which helps keep the dough moist and make it light and airy. NOTE: See tip for making mashed potatoes for this recipe below.
- Nutella Filling– The filling is a simple combination of Nutella, cinnamon, and melted butter. I go much lighter on the cinnamon than I usually do for cinnamon rolls because I want the Nutella to be the dominant flavor.
- Cream Cheese Glaze– All cinnamon rolls need a glaze or icing and cream cheese is my favorite. This glaze gives the rolls a nice, sweet finish with a little tang.
Two Rise Times
The dough will need to initially rise until doubled in size. This will take about 1 hour if you have a warm place for it to rise. It will take longer if your house is cool. If you don’t have a warm place, turn the oven on it’s lowest setting for a minute or two and then place the bowl with the dough in the oven with the door cracked.
Once the rolls are shaped they will need to rise a second time for about 30 minutes.
You will need a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, a rolling pin, and a 9×13-inch baking dish.
Be sure you don’t let the mashed potato mixture get hotter than 120 degrees or you will kill the yeast. If it gets too hot, let it cool to 120 degrees before adding it to the mixing bowl.
Use either a very sharp knife or dental floss to cut the cinnamon rolls. A dull knife will smash the dough and the rolls will be misshapen.
To quickly and easily make mashed potato for this recipe, prick two medium russet potatoes with a fork and microwave for 5 to 7 minutes or until soft. Peel the skin off and mash the potatoes with a fork. They don’t need to be completely smooth. The mixer and the kneading process will break them down nicely.
More Cinnamon Roll Recipes
- Bisquick Cinnamon Rolls
- Buttermilk Biscuit Cinnamon Rolls
- Bourbon Pecan Cinnamon Rolls
- Sausage Cinnamon Rolls
- Giant Cinnamon Roll
Nutella Cinnamon Rolls
- 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 cup mashed potato
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter, cut into pieces so it melts faster
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 cup Nutella
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Cream Cheese Glaze
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- pinch of salt
- Whisk together 1 1/2 cups of flour and the yeast in the mixing bowl of a stand mixer.
- In a medium saucepan, combine mashed potato, milk, butter, sugar, and salt.Heat and stir just until it reaches a temperature of about 120 degrees F.
- With mixer on LOW and using the paddle attachment, gradually add the mashed potato to the mixer. Then add the eggs.Beat on HIGH speed for 2 minutes.
- With mixer on LOW, gradually add another 2 1/2 cups of flour. If dough is still wet and sticky, add the remaining flour.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough for 4 to 5 minutes, working in a little more flour if needed.Place dough in a large greased bowl, turning to coat. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled.
- Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surafce. Punch it down to get the air out. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rest 10 minutes.
- Roll dough out into a 18×12-inch rectangle. Spread butter and Nutella over the surface and sprinkle with cinnamon.Starting with a long side, roll up jellyroll style. Using a sharp knife, cut into 12 slices.
- Arrange slices cut side down in prepared baking dish. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk.Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Make glaze. Use electric mixer to beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in powdered sugar, milk, and salt.Spread glaze on cinnamon rolls.
1 thought on “Nutella Cinnamon Rolls”
This recipe is to die for! The lightest dough I’ve ever had the pleasure to make. I’m going to use the dough recipe going forward for all kinds of variations. The whole family loved it and it was easy to make.