Mozzarella Stuffed Meatloaf has lots of gooey cheese in the middle and more on top. This ultra cheesy meatloaf has tons of Italian flavor and is covered in pasta sauce.
Meatloaf is one of my favorite comfort foods. Scroll down for more meatloaf recipes. Stuffing meatloaf with cheese takes it to a whole new level of comfort. It adds flavor and also helps prevent the meatloaf from drying out.
Covered in pasta sauce with lots of mozzarella and some Parmesan cheese, this meatloaf tastes like a giant meatball.
What To Serve With Meatloaf?
I like to serve this particular meatloaf with pasta since it has so much Italian flavor but it can also be served with mashed potatoes. Green beans, broccoli, or peas make a great side.
What type of mozzarella cheese to use to stuff the meatloaf?
I buy a ball of mozzarella cheese and dice it. It’s less messy and easier to stuff a meatloaf with than shredded cheese. I don’t recommend using string cheese. It doesn’t melt well.
Mozzarella Stuffed Meatloaf Recipe Tips:
- You can use any kind of jarred pasta sauce or marinara sauce for this recipe or you can use a homemade sauce.
- I like to use a ground beef that is between 80-85% lean for meatloaf.
- Mix the meatloaf evenly, but don’t overmix or it will be tough.
- Let the meatloaf cool for 15 minutes before slicing so it holds its shape.
- Can be assembled a day in advance and wrapped in plastic wrap and refrigerated.
Try These Other Meatloaf Recipes:
- Classic Meatloaf
- Bourbon and Coke Meatloaf
- Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf
- Italian Meatloaf
- Bacon Cheeseburger Meatloaf
- Old School Meatloaf
- Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Meatloaf
- 2 pounds ground beef, 80 to 85% lean
- 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup Panko crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parlsey
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups plus 3 tablespoons pasta sauce, divided
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, diced
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Place ground beef, onion, garlic, eggs, Panko crumbs, Parmesan cheese, Worcestershire sauce, parsley, salt, basil, oregano, black pepper, and 3 tablespoons of pasta sauce in a large bowl.
- Gently mix until evenly combined. Do not overmix it or your meatloaf will be tough.
- Place half of the mixture in the prepared baking dish and shape it into a 9x5-inch rectangle.
- Place diced mozzarella down the middle.
- Cover the mozzarella with the rest of the meatloaf mixture, being sure to seal it together well on the sides so the cheese doesn't ooze out.
- Pour the remaining pasta sauce on top. Bake for 1 hour.
- Sprinkle shredded mozzarella on top and place back in oven until cheese is melted.
- Let rest 15 minutes before slicing.