Meatloaf with Mushroom Gravy- a moist and flavorful meatloaf made from a combination of ground beef and ground pork is covered in a creamy mushroom gravy. You’ll be fighting over leftovers.
This wonderful comfort food is perfect for mushroom lovers. Typically I like meatloaf with a sweet and tangy glaze, but meatloaf with gravy is totally delicious too. Especially when served with mashed potatoes.
Combo of Ground Beef and Pork
Using a combination of ground beef and pork makes a more flavorful meatloaf and a really moist meatloaf. Note: You can use all ground beef if you wish. If using all ground beef, don’t use ground beef that is too lean or the meatloaf will be dry. I recommend using ground beef that is no leaner then 85%.
The secret to tender, delicous meatloaf is not to overmix the ingredients. Just gently stir the ingredients together until they are evenly dispersed.
You can use any type of mushrooms for the gravy. I typically use white mushrooms or cremini, but shitake are good too.
You’ll use 2 tablespoons of meatloaf drippings for the gravy, plus some butter, flour for thickening, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder for flavor, and just a little heavy cream to make it just a touch creamy.
I also like to add a little balsamic vinegar to perk up the flavor of the gravy. Use a good quality balsamic vinegar or it may make the gravy taste worse, not better. Note: The vinegar can be left out and the gravy will be perfectly delicious without it.
Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4 days and can be reheated in a microwave.
Great Sides To Go With Meatloaf with Mushroom Gravy
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons meatloaf drippings
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place breadcrumbs in a large bowl. Stir milk into them.
- Add eggs, onion, ground beef, ground pork, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, thyme, and parsley. Mix gently just until evenly mixed.
- Shape into a 9×5-inch meatloaf in a greased baking dish. (I use a 9×13-inch baking dish.)
- Bake for 60 minutes.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat meatloaf drippings and butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook until browned.
- Stir in flour and cook 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in broth. Add Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder. Bring to a simmer and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes to thicken.
- Stir in heavy cream and vinegar.Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon sauce over meatloaf to serve.