French Onion Burgers- onion seasoned ground beef patties are topped with gruyere cheese, caramelized onions and garlic Dijonnaise and served on brioche buns with a little baby arugula. Not your average burger!
Gourmet, restaurant quality burgers are super easy to make at home with the right combination of ingredients.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR FRENCH ONION BURGERS:
- Olive oil and butter
- Sweet Onions– yellow onions can be substituted.
- Balsamic vinegar and thyme– give a burst of flavor to the onions. Fresh thyme can be used instead of dry.
- Ground Chuck– I like to use ground chuck for burgers. The higher fat content creates really juicy, flavorful burgers. You can use lower fat ground beef if you wish.
- Packet of Dry Onion Soup Mix– provides all the flavor and seasoning for the burgers. So easy!
- Gruyere Cheese– I love the sharp, buttery flavor of gruyere. Swiss cheese can be used instead or even provolone.
- Arugula– green leaf lettuce can be substituted.
- Brioche Buns– I love, love, love brioche buns. They are pillowy soft in texture and have a great buttery flavor. Look for them in the deli section of your grocery store.
These burgers can either be grilled or cooked in a cast iron pan.
The Dijonnaise and onions can be made a day in advance and refrigerated.
Take your time cooking the onions for best flavor. You don’t want the heat too high or you will burn them.
Try These Other Amazing Burger Recipes:
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 medium sweet onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
- 1 packet dry French onion soup mix
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 4 brioche buns, toasted
- 1 cup baby arugula
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large nonstick skillet. Add onion and cook over medium to medium-low heat until golden, about 25 minutes. Be sure to stir them frequently so they don't burn.Stir in balsamic vinegar and thyme and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together dijonnaise ingredients. Refrigerate until needed.
- In a medium bowl, mix together ground chuck and onion mix. Shape into 4 patties.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add patties and cook 4 minutes. Flip over and cook another 3 minutes.Divide shredded gruyere between the burgers. Turn heat to low and cover skillet for 1 minute to melt cheese.
- Place some arugula on the bottom of each bun. Top with Dijonnnaise, a burger patty and onions.Top with bun tops and serve.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.