If you’re looking for a juicy, delicious, straight-up hamburger recipe, you can’t go wrong with this one. They are hands down the best burgers I have ever cooked. They’re Steak and Shake good. Since grilling season is about here, burgers will be a regular in our dinner recipe and this is always my go to recipe.
There are a few ingredients in these hamburgers that I’ve never seen in another burger recipe- bread, milk, and bacon fat. You won’t be able to detect the bread or the milk in the burger, but they really do help keep the inside moist and the added bacon grease allows the exterior to develop a wonderful, crispy char as well as a smokey flavor.
These burgers are so tasty they really don’t need a lot in the way of toppings. You’ll already have bacon to add to them since you need to fry some up to get the bacon grease to add to the ground beef. Add some lettuce, tomato, and onion for a super delicious burger. You might want to also cook up some slow cooker bourbon baked beans and jalapeno creamed corn to round out the meal.
- ◾6 strips bacon
- 1-2 slices white sandwich bread, crusts removed, cut in ½ inch pieces
- ¼ cup milk
- 1½ lbs ground beef (85-90% lean)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 4 buns
- toppings of choice
- Fry bacon in large skillet until crisp, about 8 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Spoon 3 tablespoons of bacon fat into small bowl and set aside
- Place bread in small bowl and add milk. Let sit for 5 minutes. Mash with fork to form a paste.
- Place ground beef in large bowl and add salt and pepper, garlic, bread paste, and reserved bacon fat. Make sure bacon fat has cooled first. If necessary put in refrigerator for a few minutes.
- Using hands mix all ingredients together until evenly distributed.
- Divide into 4 portions. Form into balls and gently flatten into ¾ inch patties. Try to make the center part a little thinner because it will poof as it cooks.
- Grill over hot fire for 7-10 minutes flipping once.
Recipe Source: adapted from Cook’s Country