Easy Bacon and Potato Soup is a thick and creamy chowder-like soup that is really simple to make.
Quick and Easy Recipe
This easy soup recipe can be made in just 25 minutes with ingredients you are likely to have in your pantry and refrigerator.
A can of condensed cream of chicken soup makes this soup quick and easy to make. It adds tons of flavor to the soup, but it still tastes like a homemade, made-from-scratch soup. There’s also a lot of bacon and onion flavor to complement the potatoes, plus some sour cream.
How To Make Easy Bacon and Potato Soup
- Cook the bacon in a Dutch oven. Remove the bacon and set aside but leave at least 2 tablespoons of bacon grease in the Dutch oven.
- Cook the onion in the bacon grease until soft. You can use a sweet onion, yellow onion, or white onion.
- Cook potatoes– add the potatoes and water, cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer. Crumble the bacon and stir 3/4 of it into the soup.
- Serve. Ladle the soup into bowls and top with remaining bacon and shredded cheddar cheese and green onions if desired.
Type of Potatoes
Instead of russett potatoes, you can use red potatoes or yukon gold potatoes. Potatoes should be cut into 1/2 to 3/4-inch pieces. If using russett potatoes, peel them. Red potatoes and yukon gold do not need to be peeled.
For extra flavor, top the soup with shredded cheddar cheese and sliced green onions.
Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days. Can be reheated in the microwave. If needed, thin the soup with a little milk or half-and-half.
Try These Other Soup Recipes
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Cababge Soup with Smoked Sausage
- Southwestern Shrimp Chowder
- Jalapeno Popper Corn Chowder
- Creamy Potato Soup with Shrimp
- Cheesy Ham and Potato Chowder
- Easy Corn and Crab Chowder
- Baked Potato Soup
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 1/2 cups diced potatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- sliced green onions, optional
- Cook bacon in a Dutch oven until crispy. Remove and set aside. Leave about 2 tablespoons of bacon grease in the Dutch oven and cook onion until soft.
- Add potatoes and water. Cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until potatoes are soft.
- Add soup, sour cream, milk, salt, pepper and crushed pepper flakes.Crumble the bacon and add 3/4 of it. (Save rest for garnish.)Bring to a simmer, but don't let boil.Ladle into bowls, sprinkle with crumbled bacon and green onions and Serve.