Meat Loaf goes from boring to hip with this recipe. Dill Pickle Meat Loaf is THE meat loaf for pickle lovers. But whether a pickle lover or not, you need to try this meat loaf. It has the most amazing flavor! Serve with mashed potatoes and green beans for a delicious All-American dinner. Even skeptics will become believers after just one bite!
A half a cup of pickle juice gets mixed into the meat loaf and I can’t really identify precisely what it is that the pickle juice does to the meatloaf. But it really does give it a unique and fabulous flavor.
The meat loaf is covered in a slightly sweet and plenty tangy glaze that is full of chopped dill pickle slices.
Note: One thing to watch out for is the salt content in this recipe. The salt content of dill pickle juice can vary greatly and it can be rather high. So you may or may not need to add additional salt. The first time you make it you will probably have to taste your pickle juice and kind of go by how salty it is and your cooking instincts to tell you if you need to add salt or not.
Seriously y’all. Dill Pickle Meatloaf is the tastiest meat loaf you will ever put in your mouth! And it has such a unique taste, everyone around the table is bound to perk up when they take a bite.
Never Miss a recipe. Sign up HERE for the Spicy Southern Kitchen Newsletter.
Dill Pickle Meat Loaf
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup dill pickle juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 medium yellow or sweet onion, chopped
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup chopped dill pickle slices
- 6-8 dill pickle slices
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a baking dish.
- Whisk together egg and pickle juice in a large bowl.
- Add salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, onion, and ground beef. Mix together, gradually sprinkling in the bread crumbs as you mix it together.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan and shape into a loaf.
- Place in oven for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix glaze. In a small bowl stir together all ingredients. After 40 minutes, pour glaze on top of meatloaf. Top with a row of pickle slices. Return to oven for 20 minutes.
Recipe adapted from Allrecipes.com
More Meatloaf Recipes
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.