Crunchy Catfish Tacos with Tequila Creamed Corn are the ultimate southern taco. Crispy fried catfish nuggets combine with a wonderfully delicious creamed corn in a floured tortilla for a fun take on fish tacos.
Add all the topping you want. I like to partially fill the tortillas with shredded iceberg lettuce, topped with lots of fried catfish. Spoon on the creamed corn, a little salsa, and sour cream, plus a little crumbled queso fresco. Crunchy fried catfish and tequila creamed corn take fish tacos to a whole new level.
Catfish makes delicious tacos, especially when it has a golden and super crispy coating with a delicately flaky interior. I’m not sure which part I like better about these tacos, the catfish or the tequila creamed corn.
The catfish batter has a little hot sauce in it for some heat. It is first coated in a batter made from all-purpose flour, baking powder, hot sauce, and club soda and then pressed into panko crumbs for a really crispy but light coating. Since the catfish is cut into bite-sized pieces, it just takes a few minutes per side to fry.
The creamed corn has onion, garlic, red bell pepper, green onion, cilantro, and jalapeno for tons of flavor.
I’ve eaten fish tacos at a lot of restaurants and frankly, I am underwhelmed by most of them. But there is nothing underwhelming about these fish tacos. They are amazing.
Give these Crispy Catfish Tacos with Tequila Creamed Corn a try and I think you’ll find they are some of the best you have ever had.
More Taco Recipes
Crunchy Catfish Tacos with Tequila Creamed Corn
Tequila Creamed Corn
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/3 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons tequila
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapenos
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup club soda
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 3 cups panko crumbs
- 1 pound catfish fillets, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- vegetable oil
- 8 small flour tortilla
- shredded lettuce
- sour cream
- crumbled queso fresco cheese, optional
- Melt butter in a large nonstick pan. Add onion, bell pepper and corn and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 1 more minute.Add tequila and heavy cream and cook until slightly thickened, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in green onion, cilantro, and jalapenos. Remove from heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl stir together flour, salt, and baking powder. Whisk in club soda and hot sauce until smooth.
- Place Panko crumbs in a shallow dish.
- Coat catfish in the batter and then press into Panko crumbs.
- Heat 1 inch oil in a Dutch oven. Fry catfish in batches for about 1 to 2 minutes per side. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Place a damp paper towel over tortillas and microwave for 25 seconds to soften.
- Fill tortillas with shredded lettuce, catfish, and creamed corn and serve with sour cream and salsa.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.