Caribbean Pork Tacos are bursting with flavor and make a wonderful family meal. The pork is coated in jerk seasoning and slow cooked in a crock pot with onion, orange slices, and beef broth until tender.
Once cooked, the meat is a cinch to shred, making taco assembly wonderfully easy.
I always like the taste of pork topped with a creamy coleslaw and I think coleslaw is a wonderful addition to a taco. I added jalapeno and cilantro to flavor the mayo-based coleslaw for these tacos.
And then I added fresh diced mango to the tacos to give a sweet compliment to all the spices.
I think a good taco should be full of lots of spicy components, but I like a taco better when there is a sweet element involved too.
The pork can easily be cooked a day, or even 2 or 3 days in advance. This is a great meal to get started on a lazy Sunday afternoon when you are puttering around the house all afternoon. It can then be refrigerated to use for a quick and easy meal later in the week.
I don’t know about you, but when I have done a little meal prep over the weekend, the week always seems to go a little more smoothly.
I love how easy a crock pot makes this recipe. The meat comes out supremely tender and is super easy to shred with a fork. I’ve been using the Hamilton Beach Set ‘n Forget Programmable Slow Cooker since my old crock pot that I had received as a wedding gift bit the dust. I was apprehensive about getting a new crock pot, but I’ve had nothing but good results with my new one.
Caribbean Pork Tacos
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (3 to 4 pound) boneless Boston butt
- 1 tablespoon jerk seasoning
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 large orange, quartered
- 1 cup beef broth
- 5 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 mango, diced
- 8 small flour tortillas
- 1 bottle Caribbean or jerk flavored bbq sauce
- Heat oil in a large pan. Add pork and cook until browned on all sides.
- Place onion slices in bottom of crock pot.
- Transfer pork to crock pot and sprinkle with jerk seasoning, salt, and pepper. Squeeze orange slices onto pork and drop orange slices into crock pot. Pour beef broth around sides of pork.
- Cover crock pot and cook on HIGH for 6 hours or LOW for 8 hours.
- Discard cooking liquid and using 2 forks, shred pork and place in a bowl.
- To make slaw, place cabbage and shredded carrots in a medium bowl. Add mayonnaise, cilantro, lime juice, sugar, salt, and jalapeno and toss.
- To serve, place about 1/2 cup pork on each tortilla and top with slaw, mango and bbq sauce.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.