There is no more perfect grilled cheese for St. Patrick’s Day than Corned Beef Grilled Cheese. A stack of salty corned beef, topped with sweet caramelized onions, and gooey melted cheese- Yum! This is perhaps the best way to eat corned beef. Can you disagree?
I didn’t even mention the crispy pumpernickel bread.
What is it about pumpernickel bread that makes such a great hot sandwich?
The onions are cooked in beer and flavored with a little Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and a few caraway seeds.
You can use either leftover corned beef that you’ve cooked yourself, or a deli-sliced corned beef.
It reminds me a little of my all time favorite sandwich – the Reuben.
If you really wanted to go with the Irish theme, you could always add some sautéed cabbage to this Corned Beef Grilled Cheese.
Gooey melted cheese, caramelized onions cooked in beer, and salty corned beef make this the perfect St. Patrick's Day grilled cheese.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon caraway seeds, optional
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup dark beer, I used Samuel Adams Black Lager
- 8 ounces deli-sliced corn beef, cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 2 cups shredded Jarlsberg or Fontina cheese
- 8 slices marble rye bread
- butter for grilling sandwiches
- Melt 1 1/2 tablespoons butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add onion and sprinkle with sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook until soft and golden, stirring occasionally, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add beer and continue cooking until liquid turns slightly syrupy, about 8 to 10 more minutes. Remove from heat and stir in Worcestershire sauce and mustard. Mix in the corned beef slices.
- On 4 slices of bread, layer the cheese, and corned beef and onion mixture. Top with the remaining 4 slices of bread.
- On a griddle or large pan, melt some butter and grill the sandwiches until lightly browned and crispy on both sides and cheese is melted.
Recipe Source: adapted from Food Network
More Scrumptious Sandwich Recipes
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.