Chocolate Sheet Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting features a rich, moist sheet cake topped with a wonderfully creamy peanut butter frosting. The combination is just magical.
There’s no flavor combination I adore more than chocolate and peanut butter and I think that is true for a lot of people.
Perfect For Feeding A Crowd
This is a great cake to make for a potluck, a birthday or a holiday. It definitely feeds a crowd. I just love a good sheet cake. They are so much easier to make than a layer cake or cupcakes, but every bit as delicious. This Peanut Butter Sheet Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting is one of the most popular recipes on Spicy Southern Kitchen and I though it was time to make a version with chocolate and peanut butter.
Peanut Butter Frosting
A combination of semi-sweet chocolate and cocoa powder gives this cake a rich, dark chocolate color and flavor. But the frosting is the real winner. This is the kind of frosting that you want served in a bowl with a spoon. It’s a wonderfully luscious and rich cream cheese frosting with tons of peanut butter flavor. It’s much lighter and more airy than your typical crream cheese frosting which is one of the many things I love about it.
And there’s a ton of frosting on this cake Just look at it. It’s nearly a mile high! As good as peanut butter is on its own, peanut butter frosting is even better.
Chocolate Sheet Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting Recipe Tip
Because of the cream cheese in the frosting, this cake should be stored in the refrigerator. Set it out on the counter about an hour before serving so it can come to room temperature.
More Chocolate and Peanut Butter Recipes
- Peanut Butter Cup Cake
- Double Frosted Peanut Butter Brownies
- Chocolate and Peanut Butter Mousse Cheesecake
- No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Grahams
Chocolate Sheet Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into tablespoon-sized pieces
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
Peanut Butter Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups peanut butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.Line a 9×13-inch baking pan with parchment paper. Spray with baking spray with flour.
- Place chocolate and butter in a large bowl.
- Combine water, granulated sugar, and brown sugar in a medium saucepan. Place over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil whisking occasionally.Remove from heat and whisk in cocoa powder.
- Pour hot sugar mixture into bowl with chocolate and butter. Let sit 2 minutes.Stir until chocolate and butter is melted.
- Stir in the sour cream and vanilla.
- Whisk in the eggs. Make sure mixture is not too hot before you add the eggs so they don't curdle.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Whisk flour mixture into chocolate mixture, adding it in three batches. Whisk just until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until it feels firm when you press down in the center. Let cool in pan.
- To make frosting, beat butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add peanut butter and beat until blended.
- Beat in powdered sugar one cup at a time. If frosting is too thick, add the milk.Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Spread frosting on cake.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe adapted from Bake from Scratch