Orange Almond Sheet Cake is a rich sheet cake covered in an almond-flavored icing. The light, fresh taste is perfect for summer.
The cake batter is buttery and supremely moist with lots of orange flavor from orange zest and orange extract. A little almond extract gives the cake a hint of almond flavoring and then there’s more almond flavor in the icing. Plus toasted sliced almonds on top for a little crunch. There are so many things to love about this cake!
Orange Almond Sheet Cake is wonderfully sweet and it’s hard to eat just one piece. Baked in a 15×10-inch pan, it has a baking time of only 20 minutes so it can be made in a jiffy. It can easily be sliced into 15 pieces. If you wrap it well in plastic wrap, it will stay fresh-tasting at room temperature for 4 days.
A little vegetable oil in the batter is what keeps this cake so moist. There’s also a little buttermilk which always makes baked goods taste divine.
Orange Almond Sheet Cake Recipe Tips:
- It helps to have a hand-held mixer to mix the batter and icing but if you don’t have one, you can use a wooden spoon and give your forearm a workout.
- I use salted butter because that is what I usually have on hand, but you can use unsalted butter and add just a pinch of salt.
- It’s best to make this cake in a 10×15-inch pan but it can be made in a 9×13-inch pan. Just bake it slightly longer.
Almond desserts are some of my favorites and the combination of orange and almond is perfect for warmer weather. So bright and fresh tasting, but rich at the same time.
Try These Other Amazing Sheet Cakes:
- Buttermilk Sheet Cake with Caramel Icing
- White Texas Sheet Cake
- Strawberry Sheet Cake
- Peanut Butter Sheet Cake
- Pineapple Sheet Cake
Orange Almond Sheet Cake
- 1/2 cup salted butter, cut into cubes
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup salted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 (16-ounce) box confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teapsoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sliced toasted almonds
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a 15x10-inch pan with baking spray with flour.
- Place 1/2 cup butter in a large microwave-safe bowl and microwave until melted.
- Add sugar, water, vegetable oil, buttermilk, eggs, orange zest, orange extract and almond extract to the bowl. Use a hand-held electric mixer to beat at medium-speed until combined.
- Sift the flour, baking soda and salt into the mixing bowl. Beat at low speed until combined. Transfer batter to prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool before frosting.
- To make icing, place butter and milk in a large microwave-safe bowl and microwave until the butter is melted.Add the confectioners' sugar, salt, and almond extract to the bowl, and beat until smooth. Pour icing over cooled cake. Sprinkle with almonds.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe adapted from Cooking with Paula Deen
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
2 thoughts on “Orange Almond Sheet Cake”
Delicious! It has a nice citrus flavor, which is perfect for the hot weather. Light and moist. I converted it to gluten-free with my own GF flour blend. Turned out perfectly.
So happy to hear it turned out great gluten-free!