Buttermilk Sheet Cake with Caramel Icing is a super easy to make version of the southern classic, Caramel Cake. There are few southern desserts more loved than Caramel Cake and this caramel cake recipe is one of the most popular recipes on Spicy Southern Kitchen.
But Caramel Cake can be a little challenging to make and labor intensive. Thankfully, this Buttermilk Sheet Cake with Caramel Icing is a breeze to make. It has the delicious flavor of a caramel cake, but in a much easier to make from that is perfect for bringing to potlucks. Plus the caramel icing is a cinch to make. No boiling needed.
Easy Caramel Icing
The icing can be made in just a few minutes. Just melt some butter in a saucepan. Remove it from the heat and whisk in some brown sugar and milk and then some powdered sugar.
It doesn’t have a deep caramel flavor that you’d get from a more labor intensive recipe. But it does have a light and buttery caramel flavor that is perfect for this tender and moist buttermilk sheet cake.
Can be stored at room temperature for 5 days. Make sure you wrap it well or place it in an airtight container so it doesn’t dry out.
More Sheet Cake Recipes
- White Texas Sheet Cake
- Strawberry Sheet Cake
- Peanut Butter Sheet Cake
- Chocolate Zucchini Sheet Cake
- Pineapple Sheet Cake
Watch the short video below to see how easy this recipe is to make.
Buttermilk Sheet Cake with Caramel Icing
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter softened
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13×9-inch pan with baking spray.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar, salt, baking powder, and vanilla until light and fluffy, at least 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs and yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix in buttermilk just until incorporated.
- Add flour and mix just until incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl to make sure everything is evenly mixed.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 35 minutes, or until cake springs back when pressed lightly in the middle. Cool.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat. Turn heat off and whisk in brown sugar and milk until the sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in powdered sugar until smooth. Slowly pour over cooled cake. You can let it cool slightly if too runny, but don’t let it cool too much or it will be difficult to spread on the cake.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe adapted from The Kentucky Fresh Cookbook
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
9 thoughts on “Buttermilk Sheet Cake with Caramel Icing”
Thanks so much for sharing. Hoping to purchase a cookbook one day. Be blessed.
This cake is AMAZING!!! Make it‼️‼️‼️ add some caramel extract/flavoring and some butter flavoring to the batter thank me later 😉
I really like the recipe for gatherings. The only tweak I made was to use dark brown sugar (more for my liking). Otherwise great recipe!
I just made the cake and it’s in the oven right now I’ll let you know after it cools and I’ll make the frosting.
hello, when the recipe says 4 eggs and 2 egg yolks, are you meaning a total of 6 eggs or just the yolk of the 4 added separately (Add the eggs and yolks one at a time). thanks, I love caramel cake prepared in every way.
Use 4 whole eggs plus 2 yolks.
So good! So easy! Everyone loved it ❤️
Tried this after my husband and I loved your Turkey tetrizinni last night. Cake and icing turned out very well. Thanks for the post!