Chocolate Banana Cream Pie is a wonderfully creamy pie with two layers- Banana Cream Pie on the bottom and Chocolate Pie on top. It’s the perfect mash-up of two delicious desserts. Serve with a little whipped cream and you have a delightfully cool and creamy dessert.
To save time (and dirty dishes), the two layers are made from the same homemade pudding. You just mix the melted chocolate into half of it to make the chocolate layer.
How To Make Chocolate Banana Cream Pie
- You’ll start by blind-baking a pie crust. I use store-bought for convenience, but you could use a homemade one. This is a great Flaky Pie Crust Recipe.
- To make the pudding, combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a saucepan. Whisk in the milk and whipping cream. Heat over medium heat until bubbly.
- Slowly whisk about half the mixture into the eggs to temper them and keep them from scrambling. Return it all to the saucepan.
- Bring to a gentle boil, whisking constantly, until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in the butter and vanilla.
- Pour half into the pie shell.
- Stir the melted chocolate into the remaining pudding. Cover both the pie and chocolate pudding and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Arrange the banana slices over the bottom pudding layer. Cover with the chocolate pudding, smoothing it out with a rubber spatula.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before slicing and serving.
You want to use bananas that are just ripe. Bananas that are too ripe will turn brown and have too strong a flavor.
Must be refrigerated.
Leftovers will keep for 3 to 4 days.
Try These Other Amazing Pie Recipes
- Creamy Peanut Butter Banana Pie
- Banana Cream Pie
- Sugar Cream Pie
- Cherry Almond Mousse Pie
- No-Bake Pistachio Pudding Pie
- Lemon Chess Pie
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten in a medium bowl
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (9-inch) pie crust, baked
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, melted
- 2 medium just-ripe bananas, sliced
- whipped cream, for serving
- Combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan. Whisk in milk and cream.Bring to a gentle boil. Slowly whisk half the mixture into the eggs to temper them. Return everything to the saucepan.
- Cook over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly, stirring continuously.
- Remove saucepan from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.Transfer half of the mixture into the pie shell. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Stir the melted chocolate into the remaining pudding mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, arrange the banana slices on top of the bottom-layer of pudding mixture in the pie crust.Spread the chocolate mixture over the bananas.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours.Serve with whipped cream.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.