Banana Cream Pie is a cool and creamy no-bake pie in a graham cracker crust with a whipped cream topping. Just the right amount of delicious banana flavor!
It’s an easy to make, from-scratch pie with no artificial ingredients. The all-natural taste can’t be beat.
The base of the pie is a homemade vanilla pudding made from sugar, cornstarch, milk, eggs, butter, and vanilla extract. Once you make the pudding on the stovetop, you’ll pour half of it into a graham cracker crust. Place a layer of banana slices on top and then cover the bananas with the remaining pudding. The banana flavor will permeate through the entire pie.
Refrigerate it to allow the pudding to thicken and set up and then whip up some fresh whipped cream to spread on top.
Banana Cream Pie Recipe Tips:
The filling is very sweet. If you want it less sweet, cut the sugar back to 3/4 cup.
Use ripe, but not overripe bananas. They should be yellow, but have few if any black spots. Overripe bananas will give the pie an overpowering banana flavor and they are more likely to turn an unappetizing brown color.
Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
It’s a little bit of trouble to make homemade pudding, but the superior flavor is so worth it. Making the pudding is not hard, but you do want to make sure you temper the eggs before adding them to the saucepan. You’ll do this by slowly stirring in 1 cup of the hot milk mixture into the eggs. This way you gradually bring up the temperature and the eggs do not scramble. If you do happen to partially scramble the eggs, pour the pudding mixture through a strainer before you refrigerate it.
Be sure to cook the pudding long enough. Do not rush it or it will not set up.
Banana Cream Pie is a cool and refreshing pie that is perfect for a backyard cookout. Makes a great ending to any meal.
Try These Other Delicious No-Bake Pies:
Banana Cream Pie
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into cubes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 graham cracker crust
- 2 large bananas, ripe but not overripe
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- In a large saucepan, whisk the sugar, cornstarch, salt, and milk until smooth. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring continuously, until bubbly and thickened.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook and stir for 2 more minutes. Remove saucepan from heat and slowly stir about 1 cup of filling into the eggs to temper them.Add the egg mixture to the saucepan and whisk it in. Place saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil while stirring constantly. Once it comes to a boil, cook and stir for 2 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla extract. Transfer filling to a medium bowl. Press plastic wrap onto the surface and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Pour half the filling into the graham cracker crust.Slice the bananas and place in a layer on top of filling.Pour the remaining filling on top.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours.
- Beat the heavy cream until it starts to thicken. Add the 1 1/2 tablespoons of sugar and continue to beat until thick. Spread on top of pie and serve.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.