Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole is a creamy mixture of chicken, ham, and cheese over rice. Topped with a buttery Ritz cracker topping for a truly comforting meal.
Chicken Cordon Bleu in Casserole Form
Everyone loves a good casserole recipe. A delicious chicken casserole with all the ingredients of chicken cordon bleu: chicken, ham, swiss cheese all baked together over white rice is pure comfort food. I’ve made it extra-flavorful by adding some cheddar cheese and a buttery Ritz cracker crumb topping.
What Is Chicken Cordon Bleu?
Chicken Cordon Bleu is a classic French dish made with chicken, ham, and cheese. Typically, the chicken is pounded thin and wrapped around ham and swiss cheese. It is then usually coated in breadcrumbs. “Cordon Bleu” in French means “blue ribbon”. It is used to describe food of the highest standard.
Use Rotisserie Chicken For Convenience
Using a rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken makes Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole super easy to put together. You will need about 4 cups of diced cooked chicken. Note: This recipe is also great for using up Thanksgiving leftovers so feel free to use leftover turkey instead of chicken as well as leftover ham.
What To Serve With Chicken Casserole
This is a great recipe to make when you need a meal to take to a new mother or a family that’s going through a rough time. It appeals to a wide variety of ages and tastes and it is true comfort food that is bound to bring pleasure at the end of a hard day.
The combination of chicken, ham, and cheese is already an irresistible one, but a buttery Ritz cracker topping really takes this casserole over the top. Pair with some green beans or a salad and you have a fantastic meal to serve your family.
Substitutions and Additions
- Add some veggies to this casserole if you wish. One cup of steamed chopped broccoli or green beans would be a great addition.
- Use a different cheese. For a stronger cheese flavor, use gruyere cheese instead or swiss. If you don’t like swiss, use sliced provolone cheese or shredded mozzarella or monterey jack cheese.
More Chicken Casseroles
If you’re looking for chicken casseroles, you’ve come to the right place. We have Chicken Cobbler, Chicken and Stuffing Casserole, Chicken and Asparagus Casserole, Chicken Divan Casserole, and Poppyseed Chicken Casserole.
- 2 cups cooked rice, I use 2 bags of Success Boil in the Bag Rice
- 4 cups cooked diced chicken
- 1 1/2 cups diced ham
- 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 6 ounces sliced swiss cheese cut into strips
- 4 ounces grated cheddar cheese
- 20 Ritz crackers, crushed
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking dish. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spoon rice into bottom of baking dish.
- Top rice with chicken and ham.
- Evenly layer swiss cheese and cheddar cheese on top of meat.
- In a medium bowl, stir together chicken soup, milk, and chicken broth.
- Pour soup mixture on top of cheese.
- In a small bowl, mix together cracker crumbs and melted butter. Sprinkle on top of casserole.
- Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.