Caramel Apple French Toast- French Toast is topped with a caramel-apple mixture, toasted walnuts, and whipped cream. Makes a truly delightful fall breakfast.
Type Of Bread To Use
I like to use Challah bread or Brioche for French Toast, but any type of sturdy bread can be used including French bread, country, or white. Bread that is a little stale is best for French Toast.
Type Of Apples To Use
I like to use Granny Smith apples for this recipe. The tartness of the apples helps cut the sweetness of the brown sugar some. Honey Crisp, Gala and Pink Lady are other great apples for this recipe.
Caramel Apple Sauce
The sauce takes just minutes to make and is flavored with apple pie spice and sweetened with dark brown sugar (light brown sugar can be substituted).
How To Serve Caramel Apple French Toast
Regular French Toast gets a lot more flavor added to it when topped with a Caramel Apple Sauce. The toasted walnuts give a little crunch and I love the addition of whipped cream. This French Toast doesn’t really need any syrup but you can add some if you want. Goes really great with a side of crispy bacon or juicy sausage.
How To Make Caramel Apple French Toast
- Make the Caramel-Apple Sauce. Melt butter in a skillet and then add brown sugar, apple pie spice, and salt. Add apple and cook until softened. Add heavy cream and cook 1 minute. Set apple mixture aside.
- Whisk together egg, milk, vanilla extract, and salt. Dip bread slices in the egg mixture.
- Cook the bread slices until golden on each side.
If using bread that isn’t sliced, cut it into fairly thick slices. You want it to be sturdy.
How To Store
Best eaten right away but can be refrigerated for a few days and reheated in a microwave.
More French Toast Recipes
- Crunchy French Toast
- Butterscotch French Toast
- Bacon Stuffed French Toast
- Bananas Foster French Toast
- Waffled French Toast
- Peanut Butter Stuffed French Toast
Caramel Apple Sauce
- 1/2 stick salted butter
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into small dice
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 loaf challah bread, cut into 1-inch slices
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup toasted chopped wlanuts
- Whipped Cream, for serving
- Heat butter in a skillet until melted. Stir in brown sugar, apple pie spice and salt.
- Add apples and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.Add heavy cream and cook 1 minute.
- Pour apple mixture into a bowl and wipe skillet clean.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and salt.Dip bread slices into mixture, letting mixture coat both sides.Note: There will be enough egg/milk mixture for about 8 slices.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in skillet and add 4 slices of bread. Cook until browned on both sides.Repeat with remaining butter and bread slices.
- To serve, top French bread with apple mixture, toasted walnuts and whipped cream.