Bananas Foster French Toast is topped with sticky sweet banana slices and a brown sugar and rum syrup. Such an indulgent breakfast. Perfect for Mardi Gras or anytime you want a taste of New Orleans.
Bananas Foster is usually served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Instead of ice cream, I like to top this French toast with whipped cream. Absolutely divine!
There are three steps to this recipe:
- Make the syrup.
- Caramelize the banana slices.
- Cook the French toast.
The bread slices are cooked in a combination of butter and oil. The butter adds flavor and the oil helps keep the butter from burning.
Bananas Foster French Toast Recipe Tips:
- I like to use Challah bread for this recipe, but Texas toast or a sturdy white bread can be used instead.
- It is best if the bread is a couple of days old and a little stale. This way it absorbs the egg custard better.
- Use bananas that are just barely ripe. There shouldn’t be any black sopts on them. If they are too ripe, they will fall apart when they cook.
- If you aren’t ready to eat right away, keep the French toast slices warm in a 200 degree oven.
- If you don’t want to use rum, you can use a little rum extract instead.
- To prevent your French toast from being soggy, don’t dip it in the egg mixture for too long.
- If you want to add some pecans to this recipe, they can be added to the pan when you cook the bananas.
Try These Other Amazing Bananas Foster Recipes:
- Bananas Foster Coffee Cake
- Bananas Foster Cake
- Bananas Foster Cheesecake
- Banans Foster Banana Pudding
- Bananas Foster Cupcakes
Bananas Foster French Toast
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 ounces dark rum
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 medium bananas, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 loaf challah bread, cut into slices
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- whipped cream, optional
- To make syrup, melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add the brown sugar and rum. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.Stir in heavy cream. Keep warm.
- In a large nonstick skillet, melt the butter and brown sugar for the bananas. Add the bananas cut side down and cook for a few minutes to soften the banana.Transfer bananas and any butter/sugar mixture to a plate.
- Wipe skillet clean.In a shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon.
- Dip both sides of the bread into the egg mixture, letting it soak in some.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in the wiped clean skillet over medium heat.
- Add 4 slices and cook until browned on both sides.
- Repeat with remaining butter, vegetable oil and bread.
- Top French toast slices with bananas and drizzle with syrup. If desired, top with whipped cream.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.