A moist Bananas Foster Coffee Cake topped with a pecan streusel and a creamy rum sauce. There’s no better way to start your day!
Bananas Foster for breakfast.
Sounds great, doesn’t it? And it is.
A soft and crumbly, but moist coffee cake flavored with bananas, rum, brown sugar, and cinnamon, topped with a pecan streusel and drizzled with rum sauce – this is not your regular old coffee cake.
When the kids are out of school for Christmas break, I put a little extra time into making breakfast foods. My husband tends to take quite a few vacation days around Christmas, so if I bake something like coffee cake or muffins, they are bound to get eaten by someone.
This Bananas Foster Coffee Cake is not only a great way to use up ripe bananas, it is perfect for the holidays when there tend to be more people than usual around the house.
It’s an easy recipe, albeit with a few different parts. It makes a large amount, easily 16 servings. But leave it on the counter and I guarantee it will disappear in no time!
You can serve it for breakfast, brunch, or even dessert. Or just snack on it all day long. 🙂
Bananas Foster Coffee Cake
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas, about 3 large
- 3 tablespoons dark or light rum
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons light or dark rum
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 13X9-inch baking dish.
- In a medium pan, cook the mashed bananas, 3 tablespoons rum, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and 1/4 cup butter until butter is melted and mixture is bubbly. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Let cool.
- Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and 1/2 cup softened butter until smooth and creamy.
- Add 1 cup brown sugar and beat until fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time. Stop to scrape down sides of bowl to get everything mixed evenly.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add to cream cheese mixture and beat on low until combined.
- Stir in banana mixture and pour batter into prepared pan.
- In a bowl, mix together pecans, 1 teaspoon cinnamon,1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup flour, and melted butter. Sprinkle on top of batter.
- Place in oven and bake for about 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Meanwhile make rum sauce. In a small saucepan, bring heavy cream to a simmer. In a small bowl, whisk together rum and cornstarch. Add to heavy cream and whisk well. Continue to whisk and cook until thickened. Remove from heat and whisk in 1/2 cup granulated sugar.
- To serve, cut coffee cake into squares and drizzle with rum sauce.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe Source: adapted from Southern Living
More Bananas Foster Recipes
13 thoughts on “Bananas Foster Coffee Cake”
This has become my favorite coffee cake recipe. Husband gobbles it up!
Stop it right now! 2 of my favorite things!
Looks great Christin! Pinned!
Breakfast is my favourite time to eat cake.. especially when it’s Sunday and I have a good cup of black coffee too. This banana foster cake is seriously making me drool – I totally need to make the recipe!
It would be amazing to be around your house for the holidays, you make the best food! This coffee cake looks so delicious! Love that rum sauce!
This coffee cake sounds like such a treat for Christmas morning! You always make the best flavored cakes, Christin. 🙂
Man oh man, I want to take a big bite! This cake looks truly scrumptious!
Crumble topping and a rum glaze, put on the kettle. I will be right over if there is possible any left but something this good, I doubt it. Wishing you and your family a safe and happy holiday!
Coffee cake is a favorite for breakfast, it brings back so many memories of before middle school eating with mom. Totally in love with your recipe!
I love Bananas Foster Coffee Cake, looks delicious Christin! My wife and I spend the afternoon yesterday making 6 dozen chocolate chip cookies! Today we are about to start making cherry cookies, peanut butter cookies and cream cheese icing for a chocolate cake I will be making tomorrow.
I love following your Instagram!
Merry Christmas to you and your family!
Bananas foster sounds like the best breakfast ever! I love that you made this into a coffee cake. Sounds so delicious, Christin! Pinned!
I’m pretty sure I would be that person to snack on this cake all day long. 😀 This is one gorgeous coffee cake, Christin! Love all the banana action going on and how moist this looks! Pinned. 🙂
That Rum sauce looks TO DIE FOR! I love love love how this is like a bread pudding/coffee cake/crazy amazing dessert all in one. AND UM….I scrolled down to comment after reading and saw those Bananas Foster cupcakes too….*drool*.
I’m going to pin this ASAP =)