A moist Bananas Foster Coffee Cake topped with a pecan streusel and a creamy rum sauce. There’s no better way to start your day!
Bananas Foster for breakfast.
Sounds great, doesn’t it? And it is.
A soft and crumbly, but moist coffee cake flavored with bananas, rum, brown sugar, and cinnamon, topped with a pecan streusel and drizzled with rum sauce – this is not your regular old coffee cake.
When the kids are out of school for Christmas break, I put a little extra time into making breakfast foods. My husband tends to take quite a few vacation days around Christmas, so if I bake something like coffee cake or muffins, they are bound to get eaten by someone.
This Bananas Foster Coffee Cake is not only a great way to use up ripe bananas, it is perfect for the holidays when there tend to be more people than usual around the house.
It’s an easy recipe, albeit with a few different parts. It makes a large amount, easily 16 servings. But leave it on the counter and I guarantee it will disappear in no time!
You can serve it for breakfast, brunch, or even dessert. Or just snack on it all day long. 🙂
Bananas Foster Coffee Cake
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas, about 3 large
- 3 tablespoons dark or light rum
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons light or dark rum
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 13X9-inch baking dish.
- In a medium pan, cook the mashed bananas, 3 tablespoons rum, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and 1/4 cup butter until butter is melted and mixture is bubbly. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Let cool.
- Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and 1/2 cup softened butter until smooth and creamy.
- Add 1 cup brown sugar and beat until fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time. Stop to scrape down sides of bowl to get everything mixed evenly.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add to cream cheese mixture and beat on low until combined.
- Stir in banana mixture and pour batter into prepared pan.
- In a bowl, mix together pecans, 1 teaspoon cinnamon,1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup flour, and melted butter. Sprinkle on top of batter.
- Place in oven and bake for about 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Meanwhile make rum sauce. In a small saucepan, bring heavy cream to a simmer. In a small bowl, whisk together rum and cornstarch. Add to heavy cream and whisk well. Continue to whisk and cook until thickened. Remove from heat and whisk in 1/2 cup granulated sugar.
- To serve, cut coffee cake into squares and drizzle with rum sauce.
Recipe Source: adapted from Southern Living
More Bananas Foster Recipes