Bananas Foster Muffins are flavored with dark rum, mashed bananas, and pecans. Topped with streusel and drizzled with an easy Rum Caramel Sauce.
How To Serve Bananas Foster Muffins
These decadent New Orleans-style muffins are a welcome addition to any breakfast or brunch and make a great snack with a cup of coffee or tea.
What Is Bananas Foster?
Bananas Foster is a dessert made with bananas, butter, brown sugar, and rum. Served with vanilla ice cream, this dessert originated in New Orleans at Brennan’s restaurant in 1951. It was named after Richard Foster, a loyal customer.
What Is The Secret To Moist Muffins?
- Make sure your bananas are very ripe. A lot of the moisture comes from the bananas. The bananas should have lots of black spots on them.
- Sour cream, butter, and buttermilk are 3 ingredients that help produce moist muffins.
- Do NOT overbeat the batter. Only mix until the ingredients are combined. Use a whisk and not an electric mixer.
- Do NOT overbake the muffins. Muffins are done when you gently press on the top and they feel firm. Be sure to check just before the 16 minute mark.
Sugary Rum Caramel Sauce
The Rum Caramel Sauce adds extra sweetness and flavor to these muffins. Only 4 ingredients are needed for it: light brown sugar, butter, heavy cream, and dark rum. To make it, simmer the ingredients in a saucepan for 1 minute. Couldn’t be easier.
Muffins can be stored at room temperature for 2 to 3 days. Place them in an airtight container with a layer of paper towels beneath them and on top. This will prevent the tops of the muffins from getting sticky and wet.
More Bananas Foster Recipes
- Bananas Foster Cupcakes
- Bananas Foster Cheesecake
- Bananas Foster Banana Pudding
- Bananas Foster Coffee Cake
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup salted butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup buttermilk or whole milk
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons melted salted butter
Rum Caramel Sauce
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- Preheat oven to 375 and line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the melted butter, sugar, egg, mashed banana, and rum.
- Whisk in the flour mixture.
- Whisk in sour cream and buttermilk.
- Stir in pecans.
- Divide batter between muffin cups.Mix together streusel ingredients in a bowl and sprinkle on top of the muffins.
- Bake for 16 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Place all Rum Caramel ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 minute, stirring constantly.Let cool some to thicken and then drizzle on muffins.