Bananas Foster Cupcakes with a moist banana-flavored cupcake, a rich buttercream frosting, and a praline sauce drizzled on top are a delicious cupcake version of the classic New Orleans dessert. With mashed banana in the cupcake batter and frosting and banana slices in the praline sauce, this is a triple threat banana cupcake.
Doctored Cake Mix Recipe
I don’t know about you, but I constantly have browning bananas. I mean CONSTANTLY. You would think that bananas are my number one thing to buy at the grocery store. My favorite breakfast used to be a sliced banana, smeared with a little peanut butter, a dollop of Weight Watchers Amaretto Cheesecake Yogurt, and a sprinkling of Grape Nuts cereal.
But then Weight Watchers stopped making Amaretto Cheesecake Yogurt. I tried to find a suitable substitute for it. The closest thing I could find was a Boston Cream Pie flavor. It was OK, but not the same. So instead of eating this breakfast nearly every day, I gradually ate it less and less frequently and now I can’t even remember the last time I ate it.
But I still buy bananas like I eat it every day. It’s a habit I guess. And I’m constantly having to come up with ways to use them.
Hence Bananas Foster Cupcakes. Maybe not as healthy as my old banana breakfast, but definitely delicious!
Use very ripe bananas. They should have black spots on them. Ripe bananas add sweetness and moisture to the cupcakes.
Maple syrup can be used in the place of the praline liqueur.
More Bananas Foster Recipes
- Bananas Foster Cheesecake
- Bananas Foster Muffins
- Bananas Foster Cake
- Bananas Foster French Toast
- Bananas Foster Banana Pudding
Bananas Foster Cupcakes
- 1 (15.25-ounce) box butter pecan cake mix, Betty Crocker
- 2 cups mashed banana, about 3 small
- 1 cup water
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup mashed banana
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 5 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 tablespoons praline liqueur
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 banana, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 and line 18 muffin cups with liners. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat cake mix, water, 2 cups mashed banana, eggs, vegetable oil, and vanilla for 2 minutes. Divide batter between muffin cups, filling almost to the top. (They won’t rise much due to the bananas.)
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool.
- To make frosting, beat butter with an electric mixer for 1 minute.
- Mix together banana and lemon juice. Add to mixer and beat until incorporated into butter.
- With mixer on low, add brown sugar and then powdered sugar 1 cup at a time.
- Beat in rum, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Use an offset spatula or pastry bag fitted with a large star tip to frost cupcakes.
- To make praline sauce, melt butter in a medium skillet over low heat.
- Add light brown sugar and cinnamon, turn heat to medium and cook 3 to 4 minutes stirring constantly.
- Turn heat to low and add dark rum, praline liqueur, and salt. Cook 5 minutes.
- Add banana slices and remove from heat. Cool to room temperature before drizzling on cupcakes.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Disclosure: Spicy Southern Kitchen is an amazon.com affiliate.
Originally posted November 14, 2014.
20 thoughts on “Bananas Foster Cupcakes”
Great recipe.. everyone loved them.. Have you ever tried freezing these ahead of time and then thawing snd frosting later on?
Thank you for an amazing cupcake! I have gotten rave reviews from each person that has tried them.
Thank you again.
I made these for my banana-loving sister in law’s baby shower and they were a huge hit. Even her hubby who hates frosting loved these. I am making them again for Christmas with the in laws this year 🙂
oh my goodness!!! These cupcakes?!!! just saw them on pinterest and had to click over. . love love love bananas foster .. can’t wait to try these!
oh wow these are making me drooooooooool.
Ohh, Christin! I am literally salivating over these cupcakes. That gooey sauce, caramel-y bananas and fluffy frosting look seriously amazing together!
These cupcakes look absolutely amazing, especially with that praline sauce! Pinned 🙂
Very nice and scrumptious cupcakes. Great recipe. 🙂
Thank you 🙂
How much powered sugar? My recipe doesn’t say.
MMMmmmmm MMMmm I wouldn’t be the least bit guilty to gobble these cupcakes for breakfast everyday!!!!! This is the best way to put the browning bananas to good use, something that happens a lot in my home too! 😀 Pinning!
These cupcakes are so beautiful, Christin! I love how you used a box mix to bake the batter. And that praline sauce sounds incredible! Pinned!
Oh my gosh!! These cupcakes look amazing.. i am intrigued. . I would love me one of this delicious banana cupcakes.. Yummmm!
Yes, yes and yes! That frosting AND a dripping praline sauce? These look INCREDIBLE!
I don’t think I would care much if these banana cupcakes are healthy 🙂 They look absolutely delicious!
These cupcakes are gorgeous, Christin! I absolutely adore banana desserts and can’t stop drooling over that amazing praline sauce! Wow!
I think I just found the cupcake of my dreams! Banana desserts and baked goods are definitely some of my favorites, and a bananas foster cupcake is the perfect mix of fancy and fun I need in a cupcake. 😀 Pinned!
You are a cupcake star… these cupcakes look perfect! I love bananas but in cupcake form? Yes, please!
Girl I just adore these! Wowza!!!
I eat a banana most days too. Generally in relationship to breakfast. I flat out like the flavor.
This cupcakes turned out really nice. Banana foster in the title pulls me in because I
have good fun memories attached to that. I have had good luck monkeying around with cake mixes. You did an spectacular job in monkeying around on this recipe.