Bananas Foster Rice Pudding is a creamy made-from-scratch rice pudding topped with a delicious Bananas Foster Sauce.
The sauce is wonderfully caramel-like with some rum flavor and pecans.
From Scratch Rice Pudding
Rice pudding is one of my favorite comfort food desserts. It’s what I crave when I’m not feeling well. Making rice pudding from scratch takes a little time, but it is perfectly easy. You have to cook it low and slow just like you do with risotto so that it develops the right texture. But there’s less work involved than making risotto because you don’t have to keep adding liquid.
How To Make Bananas Foster Rice Pudding
- Combine 5 1/2 cups milk, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, and salt in a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Right when it comes to a boil, stir in the rice and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer gently for 50 to 60 minutes, stirring occasionally. It is done when it has the consistency of yogurt.
- Stir in the vanilla and let cool. Refrigerate until chilled.
How To Make Bananas Foster Sauce
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the brown sugar, rum, cream, and salt.
- Cook for 2 minutes. Add the banana slices and pecans and cook just until the banana slices are coated well.
- Just before serving, stir an extra 1/2 cup of milk into the rice pudding. Dish into bowls and spoon the sauce on top.
Use just-ripe bananas, NOT overripe bananas.
Use a heaping cup of uncooked, long-grain white rice. The proportion of milk to rice will seem really out of balance, but the rice will gradually soak up all the milk and get really creamy in texture.
The rice pudding is sweet and the sauce is really sweet. If you like less sweet desserts, reduce the granulated sugar in the rice pudding to 1/3 cup.
More Bananas Foster Recipes
- Bananas Foster Cheesecake
- Bananas Foster Cake
- Bananas Foster Cupcakes
- Bananas Foster Banana Pudding
- Bananas Foster Coffee Cake
- 6 cups whole milk, divided
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (heaping) long-grain white rice, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Bananas Foster Sauce
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 ripe bananas, sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- In a large saucepan, bring 5 1/2 cups milk, sugar and salt to a boil over medium-high heat.
- As soon as it comes to a boil, stir in the rice and reduce heat to low. (Note: You want it to simmer gently.)
- Cook for 50 to 60 minutes, stirring occasionally. Note: You want to cook it until it thickens up like yogurt.
- Stir in vanilla.Let cool and then refrigerate until chilled.
- To make sauce, melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add brown sugar. rum, cream, and salt. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add banana slices and pecans. Cook until bubbles form around the edges and bananas are coated well.
- To serve, stir the remaining 1/2 cup of milk into the rice pudding.Dish into bowls and top with sauce.