Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese is a stovetop mac and cheese that is super creamy and spicy. Shredded cooked chicken gets mixed in making this a one dish meal. Sprinkle blue cheese crumbles, green onions, and more hot sauce on top for extra flavor.
Easy Mac and Cheese Recipe
This easy recipe can be made start to finish in under 20 minutes. Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese is the ultimate in creamy, cheesy, rich macaroni and cheese recipes. It is pure, indulgent comfort food.
Three Kinds Of Cheese.
Two kinds of cheese, Monterey Jack and cheddar are used for lots of cheese flavor. There are also some blue cheese crumbles added. To make this mac and cheese super creamy, I added cream cheese and sour cream. They really make the sauce rich, thick, and creamy.
Tips For Making Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
- Use a rotisserie chicken for ease and convenience.
- Pretty much any shape of pasta can be used. Penne and shells work well.
- If you want it to be extra spicy, up the hot sauce from 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup and serve with extra hot sauce.
- I use Frank’s Hot Sauce, but you could use a different sauce.
- Some readers feel 8 ounces of macaroni is not enough. You use up to 12 ounces of macaroni if you want more pasta in relation to the sauce.
How Spicy Is The Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese?
The amount of hot sauce gives it a medium heat level. If you want it super spicy, add 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper or serve with additional hot sauce.
Leftovers can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4 days. If texture gets too dry, add a splash of milk before reheating in the microwave.
More Mac and Cheese Recipes
- Philly Cheesesteak Mac and Cheese– full of white American cheese, steak, onions, and peppers.
- Chicken Bacon & Ranch Mac and Cheese– loaded with diced chicken, crumbled bacon, ranch seasoning, and 3 types of cheese.
- Bourbon and Bacon Mac and Cheese– mac and cheese grown-up style.
- Jalapeno Popper Mac and Cheese– has a nice spicy kick!
- Nacho Mac and Cheese
- Spicy Mac and Cheese
Love the flavor of Buffalo Chicken? Try these other recipes:
- Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken Chili
- Buffalo Shrimp Dip
- Buffalo Pimento Cheese
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Sliders
Watch the short video below to see how easy this recipe is to make.
- 8 ounces uncooked macaroni pasta
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened and cut into pieces
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup Frank’s hot sauce
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add flour. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a simmer. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and dry mustard.
- Once thickened, turn heat to low and add cream cheese. Stir until melted.
- Add Monterey Jack cheese and cheddar cheese. Stir until melted.Note: It's best to mix the cheese in a small handful at a time. This will create a smooth sauce. If you dump it all in at once, the sauce might get grainy.
- Stir in sour cream and hot sauce.
- Stir in macaroni, chicken and blue cheese. Sprinkle with green onions.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.