Nacho Mac & Cheese is the ultimate mac and cheese for Mexican food lovers. It’s loaded with ground beef flavored with taco seasoning, 2 types of cheese (cheddar and pepper jack), jalapeno, onion, plus a can of diced tomatoes and green chilies.
For a little crunch I added some crushed Doritos on top. It’s spicy and cheesy and makes a filling one dish meal.
There’s enough for leftovers or to serve several families. 🙂
If you like cilantro, sprinkle a little on top.
What Type Of Pasta To Use?
Elbow pasta is typically used for mac and cheese, but you don’t need to use it. Penne, cavatappi, wagon wheels, and shells all work well.
Nacho Mac and Cheese Recipe Tip
Only cook the pasta to al dente. That means it is still a little firm when you bite into it. It will cook more in the oven.
This mac and cheese is best eaten right away. The Dorito topping does not keep all that well. You can refrigerate it in an airtight container for 3 days. The topping will be soggy, but the rest will be pretty tasty.
Make It Extra Spicy
If you want these recipe to be extra spicy, use “Hot” taco seasoning and “spicy” Rotel tomatoes.
Several weeks ago I had the pleasure of attending a tour of dairy farms in Ohio with the American Dairy Association- Mideast. Note: Originally posted October 5, 2016.
Photo courtesy ADA-Mideast
We visited 2 farms, Richman Farms and Clardale Farms, to get and idea of how a small and large-sized dairy farm are run. We also visited Pearl Valley Cheese where we got to learn all about the cheese making process. I learned so much about how milk goes from farm to fridge!
And saw so many cows. Lots of cows!
Plus I got to try my hand at milking a cow. Not as easy as it looks.
We learned that in terms of quality, safety, and nutrition, there’s no difference between organic and regular milk. ALL milk is tested for antibiotics and milk that tests positive for antibiotics is discarded. Non-organic farms are able to treat sick cows with antibiotics, but the milk does not enter the milk supply .
We also had the opportunity to attend an local elementary school to learn about their breakfast program, which of course includes milk. They have a very neat program that involves breakfast being served in the classroom instead of the cafeteria. We also got a chance to see their outdoor garden which was really quite impressive.
Photo courtesy ADA-Mideast
More Mac and Cheese Recipes
- Philly Cheesesteak Mac and Cheese
- Super Creamy Mac and Cheese
- Bourbon and Bascon Mac and Cheese
- King Ranch Mac and Cheese
- Jalapeno Popper Mac and Cheese
Watch the short video below to see how easy this recipe is to make.
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper finely chopped
- 1 (1.25-ounce) package taco seasoning , preferably low sodium
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 (10-ounce) can Rotel tomatoes and green chilies
- 2 cups shredded Pepper Jack cheese divided
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- salt and pepper
- 1 (16-ounce) box macaroni cooked until al dente,
- 1 1/2 cups crushed Nacho cheese Doritos
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a Dutch oven. Add ground beef, onion, and jalapeno. Cook, breaking ground beef apart with a wooden spoon, until beef is no longer pink.
- Sprinkle taco seasoning over ground beef. Stir to combine.
- Transfer ground beef mixture to a bowl and set aside.
- Add butter to same Dutch oven and place over medium heat. Once butter is melted, sprinkle flour over butter and whisk together for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in milk. Add can of Rotel. Simmer until mixture thickens slightly, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Set aside 1/2 cup of Pepper Jack cheese and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese. Add remaining cheese to Dutch oven and remove pan from heat. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Add meat mixture and stir to combine.
- Add cooked macaroni and stir to combine.
- Pour into a greased 11X8-inch pan. (A 13×9-inch will work too.)
- Sprinkle the cheese that was set aside and the Doritos on top.
- Place in a 350 degree oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cilantro.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Thank you ADA for hosting me on such an amazing trip!
Originally posted October 5, 2016.
If you’re a Mac & Cheese Lover this Creamy Mac & Cheese is a must try!