Southwestern Turkey Rice Casserole is a creamy, cheesy casserole full of rice, diced turkey, sour cream, spinach, green chiles, southwestern spices all topped off with a crushed dorito topping. It’s a great way to use up leftover turkey but can also be made with rotisserie chicken.
This filling Southwestern Turkey Rice Casserole is perfect for feeding a crowd. It’s very filling on its own but can be served with a side salad.
I like to add the spinach in because it adds both color and nutrition and to be honest, you really don’t taste it. If you don’t like it, you could leave it out. If you do use it, be sure to squeeze the water out of it so it doesn’t water down the casserole.
This easy casserole can be assembled a day in advance and refrigerated until you are ready to bake it. Just wait to put the Doritos on top until just before baking.
To make this dish spicy, use a can of HOT Rotel tomatoes. To up the heat even more, use Pepper Jack cheese instead of Colby Jack.
Soutwestern Turky Rice Casserole can easily be personalized. Try adding canned corn and black beans instead of the spinach.
More Great Recipes for Leftover Turkey:
Southwestern Turkey Rice Casserole
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 (6.8-ounce) package Rice-a-Roni Spanish Rice
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 (10.75-ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeeze-dried
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 to 4 cups chopped cooked turkey
- 2 cups shredded Colby Jack cheese
- 1 cup crushed Dorito chips
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook for 3 minutes.Add rice and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the seasoning pack from the rice, the water, the undrained can of Rotel and the chopped green chiles. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and cook for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Remove lid from saucepan, stir in sour cream, chicken soup, spinach, cumin, salt, pepper, turkey and half the cheese.
- Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish. Sprinkle remaining cheese and the crushed Doritos on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
Recipe adapted from Taste of the South
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.