Slow Cooker Brisket Chili is loaded with tender chunks of brisket, lots of spices, black beans, and fire-roasted tomatoes. Eight hours on LOW in the slow cooker and you have one of the most delicious bowls of chili ever. Top with some lime-flavored sour cream and fresh cilantro and get ready to dig in.
Brisket Chili Recipe
Brisket is one of my favorite cuts of meat. This Oven Barbecued Brisket is one of my favorite foods ever. Brisket lends so much flavor to chili and the pieces of meat get so tender.
How To Make Slow Cooker Brisket Chili
The brisket is cut into 1-inch pieces and tossed with lots of spices: chili powder, cumin, oregano, and garlic powder plus some flour which will not only help the brisket brown well, it will thicken the chili a little.
The brisket pieces get browned in some vegetable oil and then placed in a 6-quart crock pot along with a diced onion, a diced red bell pepper, garlic, black beans, diced tomatoes, beef broth, and crushed red pepper flakes. After 8 hours on LOW, the meat is so tender and good.
How To Serve
Top with sour cream, diced avocado, fresh cilantro, and pickled jalapeno slices. To spice it up even more, serve with Cholulu Hot Sauce. A side of Buttermilk Cornbread Muffins or Texas-Style Jiffy Cornbread is a must!
Variations and Substitutions
- Use pinto beans or kidney beans in place of black beans or leave the beans out.
- Add a cup of corn.
- Use cayenne pepper instead of red pepper flakes.
How To Store
This chili can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 5 days or frozen in a freezer bag for up to 3 months.
More Chili Recipes
- Five-Alarm Chili
- Slow Cooker Cincinnati Chili
- Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
- Dr. Pepper Chili
- Healthy Crock Pot Chicken Chili
- Black-Eyed Pea and Sausage Chili
- Three Bean Chili
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 2 pounds beef brisket, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 red or orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow or sweet onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (16-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Stir together first 7 ingredients in a medium bowl. Add brisket pieces and toss to coat well.
- Heat oil in a large cast iron or nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add brisket. Cook in 2 batches if necessary. Sprinkle any leftover spice mixture over the brisket. Cook until browned on all sides.
- Transfer brisket to a 6-quart or larger crock pot.
- Add bell pepper, onion, and garlic to the pan. No need to wipe it clean. You want it to get flavored from the spices and grease left in the pan. Cook just until starting to get soft and then add to crock pot.
- Add beans, diced tomatoes, beef broth, and crushed red pepper flakes to the crock pot.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or on HIGH for 6 hours. Stir in lime juice. Serve with Lime Cream.
- To make lime cream, stir together all ingredeints in a small bowl.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Originally posted January 2, 2019.
Recipe adapted from Southern Living