Black-Eyed Pea and Sausage Chili is a hearty and meaty southern chili filled with black-eyed peas, corn, tomatoes, ground beef, and Italian sausage. Serve with cornbread for a filling cold weather meal.
With 2 pounds of meat, this is a really meaty meal. The Italian sausage gives it a nice spicy kick. This recipe makes a huge batch of chili and leftovers reheat well.
For ease of preparation, this recipe uses frozen corn and black-eyed peas.
To make Black-Eyed Pea and Sausage Chili, start by cooking the ground beef, sausage, onion, and green pepper in a large Dutch oven. Break the meat apart with a wooden spoon as much as you can. Drain off most of the fat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Next add 4 cups of beef broth, a can of tomato sauce, a can of diced tomatoes (undrained), a teaspoon each of oregano and chili powder and some salt and pepper plus the black-eyed peas. Simmer for 40 minutes, being sure to stir occasionally so it doesn’t burn on the bottom.
Add the corn and cook 5 more minutes.
Black-Eyed Pea and Sausage Chili is best served with some cornbread. This chili is so thick and chunky and full of flavor. I love the flavor of black-eyed peas. They give the chili so much more flavor than beans do.
More Chili Recipes
Black-Eyed Pea and Sausage Chili
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound hot Italian ground sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 pound frozen black-eyed peas
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepepr
- 1 (14-ounce) bag frozen corn
- Place ground beef, sausage, onion, and bell pepper in a large Dutch oven. Cook, breaking meat apart, until meat is cooked through. Drain off excess fat.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add broth, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, black-eyed peas, oregano, chili powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add corn and cook 5 more minutes.