Reuben Soup is a liquid version of everyone’s favorite deli sandwich. It’s thick and hearty with lots of corned beef and sauerkraut plus melted swiss cheese. A little garlic, horseradish, cayenne pepper, and caraway seeds flavor the soup along with Thousand Island dressing.
I think it is the Thousand Island dressing that makes me enjoy a Reuben so much.
Corned beef, sauerkraut and Thousand Island make one of the most amazing flavor combos ever. So amazing that I’ve used them in lots of different recipes including Reuben Fritters, Reuben Dip, Reuben Pinwheels, and Reuben Crescents.
I cut some Rye bread into pieces, toasted it with swiss cheese and topped the soup with them.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups beef broth
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 cup Thousand Island dressing
- 1 1/2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups shredded swiss cheese, divided
- 1 pound thinly sliced corned beef from the deli, chopped
- salt and pepper
- rye bread for serving
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onion and celery and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Sprinkle flour on top. Stir in and cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in beef broth and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in half-and-half, Thousand Island, horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, caraway seeds, and cayenne pepper. Bring to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn heat to low and stir in sauerkraut, 1 1/2 cups swiss cheese, and corned beef. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Cut rye bread into squares. (I used a round cookie cutter to make circles. Place on baking sheet and sprinkle with remaining swiss cheese. Place in 400 degree oven until cheese is melted.
- Serve soup with croutons.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Try this Crock Pot Reuben Dip.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.