Pumpkin Sheet Cake with Nutella Cream Cheese Frosting- a light and moist pumpkin cake with chocolate chips topped with an ultra creamy Nutella Frosting. So good!
Perfect for Thanksgiving or any fall special occasion. You will not be able to get enough of this delicious cake.
Be sure to use canned pumpkin and not pumpkin pie filling. I prefer to use Libby’s over other brands. Sometimes the organic or store-bought brands are watery compared to Libby’s.
Lots of Fall Spices
This pumpkin cake makes a fantastic fall dessert. It’s spiced up with cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger all in generous amounts.
Light and Luscious Nutella Frosting
I absolutely love Nutella and it goes perfectly with pumpkin. Equal parts butter and cream cheese give this frosting a light, luscious, and rich flavor and texture.
Flavor Gets Better With Time
You’ll find the flavor of this cake is better a day after it is baked. This is true of most cakes that contain a lot of spice. The spices blend together and mellow a little over time. They can taste a little harsh at first. The cake will taste fresh for 4 to 5 days.
- 10-by-15 inch Jelly Roll Pan– this cake bakes up nice and thin in a 15×10-inch jelly roll pan.
- Mixing Bowls- I love this set of glass mixing bowls with lids.
- Sifter– I use a fine-meshed strainer for sifting since it can also be used for other things.
- Hand-Held Electric Mixer- I love my hand-held KitchenAid mixer.
Measure the Flour Correctly
You want to be sure you measure the flour for this cake correctly. Too much flour can result in a dry cake. First fluff the flour up some in the bag or container. Use a large spoon to gently scoop the flour and add it to a dry measuring cup. Overfill it slightly and then use the back of a knife to run across the top to get rid of excess.
Store in the refrigerator since there is cream cheese in the frosting. Let it sit for an hour at room temperature before serving or eat it cold if you can’t wait.
More Pumpkin Desserts
- Pumpkin Cake Roll
- Nutella Pumpkin Bread
- Pumpkin Cake with Rum Glaze
- Soft Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Pumpkin Spice Bars
- Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Nutella Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cut into pieces and softened
- 2/3 cup Nutella
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 10×15-inch pan with parchment paper. Lightly spray the parchment with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin, brown sugar, granulated sugar, vegetable oil, vanilla, and eggs.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger.
- Make a well in the center of the wet ingredients. Sift the dry ingredients into the wet and stir until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool.
- To make frosting, beat butter, cocoa powder, 2 tablespoons milk and powdered sugar with an electric mixer until smooth.
- With mixer on, add 1 piece of cream cheese at a time.
- Add Nutella and vanilla and beat until blended. Add more milk if too thick.
- Spread frosting on cake.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe slightly adapted from Carlsbad Cravings