Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting- moist cupcakes with a beautiful orange hue and tons of warm spice flavor topped with an ultra rich frosting that tastes like a cinnamon roll.
These cupcakes are perfect in every way. There’s a whole lot of spice in them and that’s what makes them so delicious. There’s 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice, 1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon, and 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger in the batter and 1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon in the frosting. So much fall flavor!
- Stand Mixer (best) or Hand-Held Mixer
- 2 (12-count)- muffin tins
- Pastry bag and large star tip, optional
Substitute For Buttermilk
If you don’t have buttermilk, you can make an easy substitute. Add 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to a liquid measuring cup and then add milk to the 1 cup mark. Gently stir and let sit 5 minutes. The mixture will curdle some.
Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe Tips
Increase or decrease the amount of confectioners’ sugar in the frosting depending on the level of sweetness you want.
You will probably have a little batter left over. You can get 28 to 30 cupcakes if you have an extra muffin tray. Or you can make a small loaf cake.
For extra flavor, try adding raisins or craisins to the batter and/or sprinkle the frosting with some finely chopped toasted pecans.
I typically use salted butter, but you can use unsalted and add a pinch of salt. Or if you are trying to reduce your sodium levels, don’t add a pinch of salt.
These cupcakes should be stored in the refrigerator because of the cream cheese in the frosting. They will keep for 4 to 5 days. You can serve them cold or let them come to room temperature for 30 minutes to an hour before serving.
More Pumpkin Recipes To Try
- 3/4 cup salted butter, softened
- 2 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place paper liners in 24 muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Beat in pumpkin just until combined.
- Whisk together flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, and ginger.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture, alternating with buttermilk and adding the flour in 3 additions and the buttermilk in two.
- Fill the muffin cups 3/4 of the way full with batter.Bake 20 to 24 minuutes. Cool completely before frosting.
- To make frosting, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in the powdered sugar, vanilla and cinnamon until smooth.
- Frost the cupcakes. Use a pastry bag fitted with a large tip if desired.
- Store in refrigerator.