Pumpkin Cake with Rum Glaze- this doctored cake mix recipe is so moist and full of fall spices.
Spicy Southern Kitchen participates in affiliate advertising programs. We may earn a commission when you make a purchase through links on our site.
A buttery rum glaze keeps this cake fabulously moist for days.
How To Serve Pumpkin Cake with Rum Glaze
This cake tastes best served at room temperature or slightly warm. For even more flavor top it with whipped cream and crushed Heath Bars or toffee bits.
Start With A Box Of Cake Mix
I love doctored cake mix recipes. They are virtually foolproof and you don’t have to worry about mismeasuring the flour. You’ll start with a box of yellow cake mix. To the cake mix, you’ll add nuts, a can of pumpkin, granulated sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, water, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves.
- Hand-Held Mixer- I love this hand-held Kitchen Aid Mixer. If you have a stand mixer, you can use that instead.
- 10-inch Bundt Pan- this is the Bundt Pan I use.
- Baking spray with flour
Cool Cake In Pan Before Removing
Cool the cake in the bundt pan for 10 minutes before removing to a cake stand or plate. If you don’t wait 10 minutes, the cake may fall apart. Let it cool too much in the pan, and it may stick.
I use Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker Cake Mix.
Be sure to use plain canned pumpkin and NOT pumpkin pie filling.
I like the addition of 1/2 cup of pecans or walnuts, but they can be left out if you want a nut-free cake.
This cake actually tastes better a day or two after it is made. Will keep at room temperature for 4 to 5 days or it can be frozen for up to 2 months.
More Pumpkin Recipes
- Nutella Pumpkin Bread
- Pumpkin Spice Gooey Butter Cake
- Pumpkin Praline Torte
- Pumpkin Cheesecake with Gingersnap Crust
Pumpkin Cake with Rum Glaze
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 regular-size box yellow cake mix
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup salted butter, cut in cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup rum
- whipped cream and crushed Heath bar for serving, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 10-inch bundt pan really well with baking spray with flour.Sprinkle nuts into bottom of bundt pan.
- In a large bowl, use a hand-held electric mixer to beat pumpkin, sugar, oil, eggs, and water until mixed.
- Add cake mix, and spices and beat on low until completely combined.
- Transfer batter to prepared bundt pan.Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan 10 minutes and then invert onto a cake stand or serving platter.
- To makes glaze, heat sugar, butter, cinnamon and cloves in a small saucepan over medium heat until butter is melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in rum. Place back over heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until sugar is completely melted.
- Poke holes in top of cake with a wooden skewer.Slowly spoon glaze over the cake, letting it seep down into the holes
3 thoughts on “Pumpkin Cake with Rum Glaze”
Made this as it sounded so good and ended up making 3 more to give to friends and family. Going to make it again for New Years Eve. It is so delicious, surprisingly light, great texture, and now a keeper recipe. Thank you for sharing this recipe. Happy New Year
Are you using a white or dark rum and can you use canola instead of vegetable oil?
I use dark rum but you can use either. Yes, canola oil can be used instead.