The Muffaletta Sandwich is a delicious New Orleans sandwich filled with olive salad, cheese, and a variety of meats all on a loaf of Italian bread. Typically the Muffaletta includes ham, salami, mortadella, and capicola. It’s similar to an Italian sub and amazingly delicious!
The Muffaletta Sandwich originated at Central Grocery in New Orleans in 1906 and you can still order one there today.
A Muffaletta is a must make for Mardi Gras. Because they are made on bread rounds and are stacked high with meats and cheese, they can be sliced into lots of servings. Plus they can be made a day or two in advance, making them perfect for low stress party prep.
They also make a popular game day food.
Tips for making Muffaletta Sandwiches:
- It is next to impossible to find a replica of the bread used for New Orleans Muffalettas. It is an Italian-style bread that is crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. You can use any Italian or French round, it just may be a little on the chewy side. Foccacia or ciabatta can also be used.
- If you’re using a tall round loaf, you’ll want to remove some of the bread from the center of the loaf once you slice it open. Hollowing it out some will ensure there’s plenty of room for all the meats and cheese.
- If you can make your Muffaletta at least 2-4 hours ahead of time, the flavor will be much better. You want the olive salad to have time to soak into the bread some.
- Typically Muffaletta Sandwiches are served cold, but you can toast it if you like.
More Mardi Gras Recipes
I love to make this Olive Salad for my Muffalettas.
- 1 (10-inch) loaf round Italian bread
- 1 cup olive salad
- 1/4 pound provolone cheese
- 1/4 pound ham
- 1/4 pound capicola
- 1/4 pound Genoa salami
- 1/4 pound mortadella
- Cut the top of the bread off so that the bottom half is a little thicker than the top. Remove a little of the bread from the center to hollow the bottom piece out some and make plenty of room.
- Spread about 1/3 cup of olive salad on the bottom piece.
- Layer the cheese and meats on top.
- Spread the remaining olive salad on top. Drizzle any oil from the olive salad on the underside of the top piece of bread.
- Place the top piece of bread on top and press down gently. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 to 4 hours before serving.